My (New To Me) Pond, Name That Fish

Nath.

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum and new to ponds and fish. I have many questions but mainly I need to know about feeding and cleaning.

I have baught a house that has what I consider a large pond, 25 feet at it's widest by 8 feet at it's widest and 4 feet deep at it's deepest.

It has a filter system that pumps water up to a head and then runs down through 3 large tubs then back into the pond, it has a water spout too that spouts water back into the pond. It has a UV lamp in line with the pump too.

There are about 25 fish in there some large Koi and some small Goldfish, however there are some large black/gret ones that I have no idea what they are. I will post pics when I can.

I have no idea about feeding or cleaning so I need some help.

Pond needs a tidy up really. It's the full width of the garden (under bridge) and also under decking in front of conservatory.

Picture007-1.jpg

Picture005-1.jpg

Picture004.jpg

wow that looks fab :)

did the pond persuade you to buy the house? would have done me
drool.gif

No, not really. In fact I was a bit apprehensive but the rest of the house was just what we wanted.

I am warming to the pond but the more I read up on it the more £££££ it looks like it could cost me.

I'm hoping that the summer makes it worth it.

How much electricity do you think my pump/UV light uses. My wife reckons it will cost a fortune to run as it's going all the time

When the inhabitants of the pond become more active in summer temperatures it will definitely be worth the cost/effort of having a continously filtered pond. Although the filter system runs constantly, from my experience it doesn't increase the electricity bill. If your bill was to rise you should blame the electricity company you have contracted with as many of them issue estimated bills, rather than costs that reflect actual electricity use! Try to become more conscious of how much electric you are using and turn the appliances off that you never use or consider low priority so that power usage is being used for a good purpose, namely the pump/filter system.

The pond set-up looks really impressive by the way :good:

Edit: Hozelock (manufacturers of pond filter systems) are conscious of how much electric their products may use and I believe they provide some products that are more eco-friendly.

OK I took some pics of the fishes that I would like identified please.

Any help would be good.

Picture165.jpg

Picture185.jpg

Picture193.jpg

That looks like a carp, possibly mirror carp or common carp.

Lucky you having a pond :D

How large/long is the fish? Goldfish are often born black and then change color as they grow, however this does look more koi-like.

Lovely pond/garden you have there :) .

I'd say its most likely to be a grass carp,
common carp aren't so common and the markings are too regular for a Mirror Carp

Just asked my boyfriend who goes carp fishing, and he says it's a common carp :nod:

Most reactions

Back