my new tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

laxislyf6461

Reaction score
hey im back and this time im just asking for opinions....i got a new 130g a few days ago and i was thinking bout making it an agressive tank....i was thinking bout getting 3 pacus(i know they arent aggressive but i liike them) 3 oscars and a freshwater stingray............i know the pacus get way too big but ill have them for the time that i can.....ne other ideas of ne cool agressive fish out there???????

oscars will get way to big too.......

sorry dont have any experience of the above fish i am sure some knowledge will be along soon ;)

codpiece said:
oscars will get way to big too.......

sorry dont have any experience of the above fish i am sure some knowledge will be along soon ;)
Oscars will be fine but 3 wil be the most you can have for the tank volume,could you let us know the size in measurements.
The stingray is not a aggressive fish,it will require a sand bottom wich may cause problems with the oscars if they start digging also the width of the tank will be a factor as stingrays like a large surface area.
As you know pacu will outgrow the tank,ive not kept them but i would guess they would need a bigger home within a year.
As for other aggressive fish you could have there are plenty thet would suit a tank that size.
I would suggest 1 or 2 Sorubim lima (shovelnose/duckbill catfish) only get to around 14" max in a tank,semi aggressive predator that will take fish up to 3" or any of the polypterus species (birchirs) both of which will be good tank mates for oscars and a stingray.

Rays should not be kept with any agressive fish as their skin is very delicate and would get nipped by the tankmates.

Oscars produce a lot of waste. I think they are harder on the biological filtration than most fish. They also like to rearrange the tank, and in general just try to tear up plants and ornaments. With that in mind, a stingray could be injured or could spear one of the oscars. Stingrays are also very picky about ammonia/nitrate/nitrite levels, and will quit eating if the levels are even slightly out of whack. Worse yet, with a significant fluctuation in the biological cycle, stingrays seem to just give up and die. That gets expensive pretty fast with rays.

I wouldn't mix rays with oscars.

Rod

Ive seen them together in a 400 gallon display tank and all the fish were getting along fine,there were 6 oscars 2 stingrays a 36" arowana a megladoras irwini a shoal of 4 sorubim lima and various peaceful cichlasoma species.
I asked the shop manager how they all got along and he said they had been together 3 years and there hadnt been one problem,the sad thing was they were selling all the fish because their head office had said they had to change the display due to a new company policy of not selling "tank buster" fish to the general public :( .

Most reactions

Back