My New Tank

omese

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
thinking of getting a 4ft tank (again) as last one cracked as it was 2nd hand,im either going to move all fish over to it and just keep it like that or im going to keep them in my 3ft and get something completely new for my 4ft

i have a few questions can my black ghost knife fish be kept in a tank with some sort of puffers?

im just finding the normal tropical fish a bit boring but i love puffers and i love my black ghost hes my number uno!!!

also looking at rainbow garra flavatara

any help or ideas would be grand ta

I would go for a 5x2x2 if you want a black ghost knife its the only real option as a minimum for an 18 inch fish.

There is a puffer that can work in community tanks in a way which is the South American Puffer or SAP. But the knife fish are too small and have too much finnage to be safely combined with them.

Wills

How about a dwarf puffer?
I have one with guppies, endlers, female fighter, oto, aquatic frog and microrasbora galaxies and he hasn't touched anyone..

I have one with guppies, endlers, female fighter, oto, aquatic frog and microrasbora galaxies and he hasn't touched anyone..

Thats a pretty rare and lucky experience with dwarf puffers really, it might be working for you right now but it probably wont work out long term. And I certainly would not advise it to others simply because the odds are weighted against it working. The problem with puffers is that they have beaks which can tear flesh Ive bled more than once from being nipped by some red eye red tailed dwarf puffers I had a few months back and when you mix that with other fish your asking for serious damage to the other fish at some point because it wont just be a fin nip or a missing scale it will be a chunk of flesh missing.

Thats why you dont often see puffers in community tanks because people know how wrong it can go. Please research your fish better in future.

Wills

*edit if thats also the 28 liter tank you have in your profile as well that is not only over stocked but the fish are way to crammed in to avoid the DP if he chooses to lash out.

sorry to be so harsh on this but I really think you need to get a post up to get some help with your stocking and tank.

Thats a pretty rare and lucky experience with dwarf puffers really, it might be working for you right now but it probably wont work out long term. And I certainly would not advise it to others simply because the odds are weighted against it working. The problem with puffers is that they have beaks which can tear flesh Ive bled more than once from being nipped by some red eye red tailed dwarf puffers I had a few months back and when you mix that with other fish your asking for serious damage to the other fish at some point because it wont just be a fin nip or a missing scale it will be a chunk of flesh missing.

Thats why you dont often see puffers in community tanks because people know how wrong it can go. Please research your fish better in future.

Wills

*edit if thats also the 28 liter tank you have in your profile as well that is not only over stocked but the fish are way to crammed in to avoid the DP if he chooses to lash out.

sorry to be so harsh on this but I really think you need to get a post up to get some help with your stocking and tank.

Have to say Wills, I`m glad that you have also pointed out to MissusHazel that a puffer shouldn`t be kept with those other fish. B-)

Watch that Puffer, one day you will start to see some nibbled fins, I am sure that they can kill fish alot bigger than themselves.

Stick to Puffers on thier own and maybe an otto's i think are ok together :)

Most reactions

Back