My New 135g Planted Tank

newfyman

Reaction score
My new tank arrives in 3 weeks and will be my first properly planted one.Tank dimensions are 60" x 24" x 30" high, it is bay fronted so gives a total of 135g 613 litres .The Lfs said the lighting would be fine with 3 x 54w T5 s with reflectors but this does'nt seem enough since reading some of the pinned threads and especially as it is 30" deep.The Lfs also said that the nutrifin C02 kit would work and again after reading this seems like its not enough and I'll need a pressurised system?. The last question for the moment is substrate, the Lfs said 4 x 3 litre bags of laterite mixed with normal gravel would be enough for this set up?
I now think these areas all need improving by getting another 54w T5 tube, pressurised C02 system and then need to decide on either EI or ADA for feeding the plants dependant I suppose on substate. Your thoughts and opinions would be apprieciated. Thanks in advance

I'd use at least 4 x 54 W tubes, min.
6 would be better.

You could turn them on in sets of 2 for a dawn/dusk appearance

CO2 gas tank is the only method you'd want ever on a tank this size.
I'd suggest using the ADA aqua soil amazonia normal size. I'd not suggest any of the other stuff(power sand etc).
Then run things about 1/2-1/3 EI(you have lower light, so demand will not be intense) and have a good size fish load and you'll be fine.
That will give you good results and et it up right from the start as well as being cheaper and less labor in the long run.

Aqua essentials sells the ADA Aqua soil(you can laos gte the dry ferts from them also), and ADG in the USA sells it.
I'd suggest you use this vs sand + laterite.
It gives very good results and looks and plants very nice.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Thanks very much Tom, just seen your new post on the behemoth tank. The tank in your house is about the same size as mine (135 imp gallons) so I guess same depth of aquasoil about 2"-3". I'll see how many lights I can fit in the cabinet hood as 6 lights is going to make it very hot in there and start doing some research on pressurised co2 systems. Thanks again

Has anyone tried the German CO2 set advertised on ebay?

Most reactions

Back