my mickey's scared of me!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lila200098

Reaction score
:( My red mickey mouse platy is scared of me! When I come near he eather hids onder the big rock or he swims away and puffs out his fins at me! the amonia levels arent high at all but sometimes i wonder if he or she(dont know what sex) doesnt like my face.and sometimes i wonder (if its a she) if its pregnant and stressed of me waching her and wants some privacy cause it does look pretty fat. but if it was a she and she was pregnant i wouldn't understand how she could get pregnant, but i do have 2 goldfish in the same tank (which dont know which sex) but they would probably be to young yet I used to have a male that passed away from old age :/ What should i doooooooo!!!!!!!!!

get it some friends!!!!

Most fish are not solitary and do best when kept with their own kind!! This will make your platty more at ease!!

CM

CM is right on the money, You need to get her some friends. I never have less than 3 females and one male in my tank when it comes to platys. They really do like the company. If you dont want to get any more platys then get a couple of swordfish.. They seem to like to get along with Platys pretty good

Les

Fish get very anxious when they are on their own. If the goldfish are much bigger they may find this un-nerving as well.

A couple more females will encourage her out as she will hang round them. There are a couple of other things you can do. Add a couple more plants, which gives a feeling of security, also time is a great healer. The fish will get used to your presence. My fish now all come to the surface whenever I open the lid in anticipation of being fed, but I have had them for a while

Best be though, as everyone else said is more females. I am assuming you know how to tell the difference between male and female. In case you don't males have two anal fins and a small protrusion betyween the fins, while females have one single anal fin

HTH

I would definately add a few more platies just like her own kind she will feel less threatened.

I currently have 2 Blue Mickey Mouse platies, 1 Red wag platy and 1 Yellow platy crossed with a swordtail.

Goldfish are coldwater fish platies are not,enough said.

Fancy goldfish can cope with extremes of temperature, so it is not impossible

Lila, what is the temperature of the water in your tank. It should be around 27 degrees, can you let us know, as this could be a problem. Best to check.

Kryten said:
Fish get very anxious when they are on their own. If the goldfish are much bigger they may find this un-nerving as well.

A couple more females will encourage her out as she will hang round them. There are a couple of other things you can do. Add a couple more plants, which gives a feeling of security, also time is a great healer. The fish will get used to your presence. My fish now all come to the surface whenever I open the lid in anticipation of being fed, but I have had them for a while

Best be though, as everyone else said is more females. I am assuming you know how to tell the difference between male and female. In case you don't males have two anal fins and a small protrusion betyween the fins, while females have one single anal fin

HTH
My tank has 3 fish in it. The platy an 2 goldfish. THey seem to get along pretty well. But I think the problem is me. :no:

Kryten said:
Fancy goldfish can cope with extremes of temperature, so it is not impossible

Lila, what is the temperature of the water in your tank. It should be around 27 degrees, can you let us know, as this could be a problem. Best to check.
27 degrees celsius or fahreheit?

Degrees celsius lila, 27 degrees fahrenheit would be below freezing :rolleyes: If your thermometer is in fahrenheit, it will be 80.6 degrees fahrenheit

Most reactions

Back