My Market Research

modaz

Getting old, but nowhere near knackered, i just lo
Reaction score
was wondering if you could help me out with the following, just a few questions to answer as im doing market reseach that someone has asked me to do.

A) You go in a LFS, you see an old product which you have either run out of or its died and you went there to get a new one but you see a different product that looks better whether it be better fish or pump, heater, etc........ which do you buy? the old one or the new type?

B What day of the week do you tend to shop at LFS?

C) How many different LFS in your area do you shop in?

D) Do you go into shops to look for new fish species?

E) What extra services would you like to see in your local LFS?

F) Would you buy for quality or price?

G) What is your local LFS strenghts and weaknesses?

H) Do you prefer large chain store LFS or smaller family type LFS? and why?

Thankyou peeps!

A) I don't buy anything important (i.e. filters, conditioners, etc) that I don't see recommended by other people on forums, so I guess that could be yes or no depending on if I had heard good things about the "new" product.

B) Browse during the week, buy on weekends

C) I go to 3 different shops

D) Yes (if by "new" you mean fish that other shops don't carry, or that I haven't seen in the area before)

E) Water testing (liquid tests not strips!!!); tank set-up demo days; hand-outs with Correct information on cycling / requirements for larger, aggressive fish; ability to place orders for fish the store doesn't always carry

F) Quality

G) Different shops have different problems...bigger stores tend to have less knowledgeable staff, while the smaller stores have less variety

H) I like both to be honest...bigger chain stores tend to have lower prices on the brands of supplies that I purchase, while smaller stores let me place custom orders for fish.

A) You go in a LFS, you see an old product which you have either run out of or its died and you went there to get a new one but you see a different product that looks better whether it be better fish or pump, heater, etc........ which do you buy? the old one or the new type?

Depends on if the new item is the same price, or if I think it is so superior to the old item that it's worth the extra money.

Fridays or Mondays (I get paid on Fridays and I have Sundays and Mondays off).

Yes and no, I usually read about new species on the net, research them, and then see if any of my LFS carry them.

A better selection of foods, and more hard to find species (ie. oddballs, and african cichlids).

Quality

Strengths: Good selection of most hardware, fish are healthy. Weaknesses: Price of hardware, small selection of food, unknowledgable staff.

I prefer a small LFS, but unfortunately the only family LFS I have here mostly caters to saltwater. So I'm stuck going to chain stores. My local Petsmart and Petland have healthy fish, just not knowledable staff, so I do all my own research.

A) You go in a LFS, you see an old product which you have either run out of or its died and you went there to get a new one but you see a different product that looks better whether it be better fish or pump, heater, etc........ which do you buy? the old one or the new type? Buy the new one

B) What day of the week do you tend to shop at LFS? Monday, When all new stock comes in

C) How many different LFS in your area do you shop in? 8

D) Do you go into shops to look for new fish species? Somtimes

E) What extra services would you like to see in your local LFS? More staff mainly never anyone around when ya need em...

F) Would you buy for quality or price? Quality

G) What is your local LFS strenghts and weaknesses? Strength: They always have afew decent fish in, Weakness there new fish Qurantine is only 4 hours and all the tanks are linked so 1 brings a disease in they all get it..

H) Do you prefer large chain store LFS or smaller family type LFS? and why? SMaller, There friendlyer normaly and easyer to talk to

Have fun ^.^

completely depends on the product, i'm not afraid to try new stuff but you have to exercise a certain level of caution with manufacturers claims and instructions.

sat/sun

1 main one, 4 others occasionally

i go in and browse for inspiration for fish sometimes if that's what you mean?

maintenance service for holidays etc

quality

excellent advice and staff, good quality stock, reasonable prices
plants are the usual rubbish

smaller stores, only big chain with a branch near me is maidenhead and the york branch is dissapointing compared to others i have visited like the p'borough branch

depends, i would usually note down what the new thing is, go home and see if it's recommended before buying.

any day that suits! i don't have a particular day

one very close buy, and 3 others a short drive away

i do, but i don't have the space to buy them sadly

PROPER quarantine procedures for new fish or fish with illness. experienced staff, new staff should be given proper training in the basics at least

quality

the one down the road from me, i go there lots so get discount, but their fish stock is shoddy (i've got a couple of a freebie sickly bettas from there), they don't quarantine, AND they stock dyed parrots, despite my regular objections. they also have bad example tanks, a small 50g tank with a baby tiger shovelnose, and goldfish in bioorbs. and glass fish bowls. needless to say i only go in there for reductions on stuff like dechlorinators, or go in for a chat, or go in for a whinge about something they're doing wrong hehe

i guess the only "chain" store near me is Maidenhead Aquatics who are usually very good! In fact I have 2 that I go to, Mill Hill and Crews Hill. i got some nice amano shrimps from them.

A) The new product IF it performs better or is better for the fish but if it is essentially the same thing I would go for the regular variety.

B Saturday

C) 6-7

D) Occasionally for Catfish

E) Better staff and a thorough explanation on cycling for everyone buying new fish or tanks

F) Quality if a filter or heater

G) Clean tanks...

H) Smaller family stores as they have better fish variety and better knowledge aswell as stock of products

I'd have to get some reviews on it before I buy anything

Sundays

Two

Yes

More varieties of fish

Quality

Strengths are it has marine, pond and tropical, weaknesses it only stocks two different brands of food

I prefer smaller family types because I usually find large chain stores do not look after their fishes properly

whoops forgot my imput

A) You go in a LFS, you see an old product which you have either run out of or its died and you went there to get a new one but you see a different product that looks better whether it be better fish or pump, heater, etc........ which do you buy? the old one or the new type?if it was a heater ect, then yes i would after research, if a fish, the same applies.

B What day of the week do you tend to shop at LFS?Any day that suits, mostly weekdays when delivery due and no children looking for nemo (not that i dont like children)

C) How many different LFS in your area do you shop in?6

D) Do you go into shops to look for new fish species?yes always, but would prefer to import new strains from excellent breeder

E) What extra services would you like to see in your local LFS?sale days, info stuck to the tanks on the fish requirements, ordering, online ordering with delivery

F) Would you buy for quality or price?quality but would still try to get the price reduced lol

G) What is your local LFS strenghts and weaknesses?easy parking, great staff, decent selection, cheap but good quality hardware, only one of the 6 is bad at everything.

H) Do you prefer large chain store LFS or smaller family type LFS? and why?both, smaller ones are more friendly and have the time to spend with you and are more knowledgable, larger chains tend to have part time students that dont give a damn except when they get paid. more variety on smaller ones but cheaper hardware in larger ones.

If it was a fish I would stick with what I went for. If it was a product I may change.

B) What day of the week do you tend to shop at LFS?

Saturday

Yes

Re-homing section.

Quality

Strength - Very knowledgable / Weakness limited stock

Family everytime!! They have more knowledge and make sure you buy correctly.

so far we have a LFS that will offer:

clean tanks
large variety
correctly housed species
seperate tanks (infection controls)
Labelled tanks with fish requirements
quarantene rules for new and sick fish
large selection of branded foods
affordable hardware
on going training for staff
more staff to meet needs
training days for tank set ups etc.....
free water testing
healthy plants
updated info around the shop regarding new products
sale days
long opening times at weekends
open 7 days a week
online ordering service
delivery service
rehoming/adoption services

Mmmmmm!!! nice shop.

anymore things to improve our imaginary shop?

New one

When I happen to be in the area

No

Aquarium set-up

Quality

1 of them could use another staff member, the second one could have more knowledgeable staff, and the 3rd I love cause the staff is friendly, and even if they're not the best, knowledge-wise, I like that they have young fish.

I would prefer a smaller, family type.

A. I will try the new one

B. Usually on Fridays because thats when I usually do all the shopping so I round it out by visiting the LFS.

C. there are 3 but I usually only visit 2 unless it's for something special that only the third one carries.
D. Yes. But rarely find anything.

E. A class on aquarium set up and care for beginners.

F. Quality

G. In one it's hard to find a salesperson but there are a few who actually seem to know about some of the different species of fish.. In the second the tanks are not labeled properly and the fish are way more expensive but the owners know fish and have been in business for 20 years; and in the last there are always dead fish in the tank and the tanks are labeled assorted cories, guppies etc. the salespeople know nothing about fish. It does have a good selection of hardware though.

H. The larger chain stores are cheaper but the family store seems to be more knowledgeable.

New one

Weekends

Yes, or different colours of existing species (Guppies)

Free Thai Massages???

Quality for fish, price on everything else

There are 3, some are stock better stuff, some actually know something about fish

Small tend to know the difference between a fish and a plant, if you know what I mean.

Hope this helps

Zan

I get whatever is compatible with my tank and that I know, from research, will do the job.

Saturday, very occasionally Sunday

Three

No, I do my research on-line if I'm planning on purchasing. However, I enjoy looking through all the tanks at the lfs.

Can't think of anything.

Quality. If the price is great, all the better.

G) What is your local LFS strengths and weaknesses?

Strengths: They have the knowledge, great staff, healthy stock, used and new equipment, stand behind their stuff.
Weaknesses: If you're on a waiting list for a particular fish, you really have to wait.

Smaller. We've had better luck with our fish being healthy and young. You can get to know them and they give you more personal service. The staff knows what they're doing and gives you correct guidance. They work there because they love fish.

Most reactions

Back