My Kribs

Genesis

If you're a cory and you know it clap your.. hands
Reaction score
i want my kribs to breed, the female has a very bright pink spot on her belly so ive isolated her and im thinking about adding a male.

what else do kribs need? should i use a breeding net? :/

maybe some caves made of shells?

PICS:
http://www.craigcentral.com/krib.asp

my fish look exactly like that

WATER STATS:
no3: 100
no2:5
GH: >16°D
pH: 7.9

Adding caves will help , as kribs like to spawn secretively as opposed to out in the open .

once eggs hatch the female will often move the fry around the tank , so adding several caves would be a good idea ......

try varying their diet , feed them small live foods as well as frozen and dried .....either prepared [ sticks /flakes ] and freeze dried .
try fasting them a day or 3 .
a varied balanced diet is always best .

sometimes water changes , and changes in light duration will trigger breeding .
Any tank mates ?

how big is your tank ?

What is your water chemistry ?

also , kribs are actually a west African cichlid , but their behavior is similar to new many worlds , so I don't a see problem with people answering it here , but it may be moved to the African forum anyway .............

[quote name=''genesis' post='981305' date='Nov 22 2005, 01:40 PM']
WATER STATS:
[/quote]
Are you sure these are your water stats?
no3 readings of 100ppm and (especially) no2 of 5ppm are not good. Your kribs are unlikely to breed in this water and any eggs would not survive.

Is the tank cycled?

cycled?

and what should the readings be (roughly)?

[quote name='modernhamlet' post='981341' date='Nov 22 2005, 02:15 PM']
[quote name=''genesis' post='981305' date='Nov 22 2005, 01:40 PM']
WATER STATS:
[/quote]
Are you sure these are your water stats?
no3 readings of 100ppm and (especially) no2 of 5ppm are not good. Your kribs are unlikely to breed in this water and any eggs would not survive.

Is the tank cycled?
[/quote]

Missed that , my vision must be going :rolleyes: ......try doing some water changes

what do the NO2 & NO3 numbers mean? and what is so bad about them?

ok, im doing a 35% water change :)

how long has the tank been running ?

water changes should be done on regular basis , I do weekly water changes of between 10 and 25% of each tanks volume , some people do more than one a week , others may go 2 or more weeks , really depends mostly on the bio load ............

" water changes are a huge key to successful fish keeping, IMO , the biggest key "

do you have an understanding of what a cycle is now ?

i do now, i will water change every week from now on

did i see the word "net"? :crazy:

tell me you aren't going to breed them in a livebearer breeding net. the kribs should be allowed to breed freely in the main body of the aquarium.

what other fish have you got and how large is your tank?

[quote name='pica_nuttalli' post='981512' date='Nov 22 2005, 04:33 PM']
did i see the word "net"? :crazy:

tell me you aren't going to breed them in a livebearer breeding net. the kribs should be allowed to breed freely in the main body of the aquarium.

what other fish have you got and how large is your tank?
[/quote]

:oops: my eyes are worse than I thought ..........no net :no: ..........'genesis , you can learn a lot here ;)

[quote name=''genesis' post='981409' date='Nov 22 2005, 03:07 PM']
ok, im doing a 35% water change :)
[/quote]

I would do smaller ones daily for a few days after that .

do you use water conditioner ? you should be :nod:

How big is the tank ?

any other fish ?

nah, i have a breeding net for the fry

also, my tank is 55 litres, im getting a bigger one VERY soon

my other fish are:
2 dwarf guoramis
1 angel
1 rtbs
1 cae

all those fish should be tough enough to handle kribs that are in breeding mode. good luck on getting the fry into that net; they tend to flatten down against the gravel when threatened for the first three months or so.

definitely don't put both the kribs into the net to spawn--it won't work. they'll just freak out and probably exit breeding mode in response.

Most reactions

Back