My Friend Got A Tank, Can I Give Her Filter Media For Cycling

tamara

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I just gave my friend one of my old 10 gallon tanks, and she's got 3 guppies already
[in a vase...i said that's bad so i gave her a 10 gallon tank]
So i was wondering since she doesn't ahve a filter or anything,
and i have two extras can i just run one of the side of my tank for a week or two
and then give it to her so that it's pre-cycled her tank?
or will that not work...?
thanks!

Kay just making sure...i tried doing it, but i left it out of water for too long i think and killed most the good bacteria, as long as it's in her tank within like an hour it'll be fine?

Kay just making sure...i tried doing it, but i left it out of water for too long i think and killed most the good bacteria, as long as it's in her tank within like an hour it'll be fine?

Yeah I hope so :D Most people who donate filter media on here meet up so they must have to travel with it

I dont know alot im only 16 haha

My suggestion would be when you get ready to take it over to her house, put the media in a plastic bag with a little tank water to help keep it moist.

Actually just adding an uncycled filter with uncycled filter media to the side of a tank with another cycled filter will not work as well as you may think. Here is what you have to do. Take the mature filter media and the new filter media you want to grow bacteria on and rub them together. What your trying to do here is get some of the bacteria off one filter media onto the other. If you can try cutting a small piece off the mature filter media and add it to the new filter as well. Then run them together for a week, then you should be fine to hand the new filter over to your friend.

Most reactions

Back