My Flowerhorn became weak, stays in the upper corner of the aquarium few minutes after I put API general cure.

ReuBen

Reaction score
My Flowerhorn has holes in his head and I suspected that he has Hexamita. He eats well, active, has no white poops, and was even able to breed successfully. The hole seemed to become larger that's is why I decided to use API General cure. I did the necessary water changes and other requirements then added the medication. Few minutes later my Flowerhorn seemed weak and is staying at the upper corner of the tank. What should I do? Is this normal when using API General cure? Will my pet be fine?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-06-27-12-56-20-52_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-06-27-12-56-20-52_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
    472.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_2024-06-27-12-57-22-33_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-06-27-12-57-22-33_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_2024-06-27-12-57-49-62_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-06-27-12-57-49-62_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 12
Do a partial water change because you might have overdosed the medication.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence when using medications because most of them reduce the oxygen in the water.

-------------------

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

If you have big rocks or driftwood in the tank, remove these before measuring the height of the water level so you get a more accurate water volume.

You can use a permanent marker to draw a line on the tank at the water level and put down how many litres are in the tank at that level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "FishForum.net Calculator" under "Useful Links" on the right of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating with chemicals or it will adsorb the medication and stop it working. You do not need to remove the carbon if you use salt.

I already finished the 2 medication of api general cure but the hole in the head is still there what should I do? Should I do another round? My Flowerhorn is not weak, eats well, no white stringy poop, just small holes in the head.( This is the same as before the medication)

The holes looks the same, did not increase nor decrease in size.

Can I also use epsom salt while using api general cure?

Is it also fine to use kokgod aquamix while using api General cure?

Attachments

• IMG_20240630_194501.jpg
    IMG_20240630_194501.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 7
Do a partial water change because you might have overdosed the medication.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence when using medications because most of them reduce the oxygen in the water.

-------------------

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

If you have big rocks or driftwood in the tank, remove these before measuring the height of the water level so you get a more accurate water volume.

You can use a permanent marker to draw a line on the tank at the water level and put down how many litres are in the tank at that level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "FishForum.net Calculator" under "Useful Links" on the right of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating with chemicals or it will adsorb the medication and stop it working. You do not need to remove the carbon if you use salt.
Thank you sir for your answer and advise.

I have some few questions I hope you can help me with them. Thank you in advance sir.

I already finished the 2 medication of api general cure but the hole in the head is still there what should I do? Should I do another round? My Flowerhorn is not weak, eats well, no white stringy poop, just small holes in the head.( This is the same as before the medication)

Can I also use epsom salt while using api general cure?

Is it also fine to use kokgod aquamix while using api General cure?

The holes left in the head after treatment remain there permanently, they are scars and the fish will always have them.

Assuming you used the medication correctly, one week of treatment should be enough to kill the Hexamita.

I had them heal up on Satanoperca in the past, but rather than more meds or additions to the water, you need to consistently and radically remove water and change weekly. A lot of people keep flowerhorns in bare tanks. In such a set up, I would change 80% of the water weekly. Every week. Miss a week, and the pitting will return.

Most reactions

Back