My Fish Has Two Tails!

LovelyFish

Reaction score
How cool is this, i bought some black neons today, got home, and noticed that one of them had two tails! not just split down the middle, they are two separate tails, even his black stripe separates in two, he seems happy and swims fine :D i would try and get a pic but i dont think i would get the detail enough

Wow, if what you're saying is true that is pretty amazing. Probably some sort of genetic mutation from inbreeding or something. If it was in the wild and happens to be an advantage, they might evolve that way. Although it's not likely 2 tails would be an advantage, but it would be pretty cool.

I wouldn't suggest breeding that one you have there if you ever plan to.

Wow, if what you're saying is true that is pretty amazing. Probably some sort of genetic mutation from inbreeding or something. If it was in the wild and happens to be an advantage, they might evolve that way. Although it's not likely 2 tails would be an advantage, but it would be pretty cool.

I wouldn't suggest breeding that one you have there if you ever plan to.

It might not be genetic. Double things like that can sometimes be due to embryos fusing while they develop (the same sort of process as siamese twins). Two headed snakes are a classic example. Breeding them always produces one headed snakes, as it's a physical condition not a genetic one.

Such deformities crop up fairly regularly in mass produced fish. The genetic diversity of the breeding population is small and recessive genetic traits and other problems surface. In better farms, the gene pool is wider, and the culling level to the extent where throwbacks are removed before shipping, but a few always get through.

I saw a two tailed Tinfoil Barb at a dealers a short while ago for example.

i think you should breed it. mabye you'll make a new spieces!

i highly doubt that'd happen. recessive genes like these or mutations in the genetic structure dont really carry on to offsprings

Even if you did breed it, it would not become a new species, it will be genetically the same as the other fish, just a mutation

i highly doubt that'd happen. recessive genes like these or mutations in the genetic structure dont really carry on to offsprings
hey that sounds cool a pic would be great its like the wired and wonderfull lol
i would try breed it 2 i agree with that would be intresting

Most reactions

Back