My Fish Are Biting Me

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BelldandyShanny

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ok, so, I know my fish aren't starving, but I'm starting to wonder if I taste good, the last few times I've done a water change my fish, and even my shrimp have come up to nibble on me... It's not just one fish either.  Does this happen to anyone else?  It doesn't hurt when the fish do it, although it is pretty weird.  The shrimp though...that's a little pinchy!

Maybe there's something on your hands that they like? One batch of guppy fry I had always did this when they saw my finger, but my other batches have all fled when they see my hand. LOL Maybe I was tastier when younger. xD

it might be because they are used to food entering from the top of the water, so they assume your food, whenever i get into my pond to renovate the fish do the same, the jd, oscars, tiger barbs, and by far the most painful, the convicts i have a couple 5-6 inch males that draw blood every time :(.

I changed your title from "Hmmmm" to "My fish are biting me" so that people have an idea what the thread is about. I figured that might get more people interested in reading it and maybe give you some answers.

For me, I've only had one fish bite me.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs1_ngEwn1c[/media]

I had a glow light tetra attacking my arm once, I had a small scratch on my arm and it must have smelled the blood and thought it was dinner time lol
crazy.gif

I have a freckle on my right arm just below the elbow and some of my fish make a regular habit of trying to eat it every time I've got my arm in the tank.  I've noticed the same fish do it each time while others are always more cautious and hide away.  I take it as a sign that some of my fish are especially comfortable with me mucking around in the tank, or especially attracted to freckles :p

I was always told they were eating tiny flakes of skin an salt particles, but I don't know how true that is.

My tiger barbs do hurt a little; I'm sure the oscar would hurt a lot, but I keep my hands and arms well away from him! This does often involve me leaping back from his tank with a squeal; he really does lunge at me, the grumpy sod :(

My three danio's are rather crazy and will swim / bump / peck at my fingers or hands at any chance they get - whether it is whilst doing a water change or whilst sorting out the plants / ornaments at the bottom.

Our kids think it is fantastic though !!!

I hope they're grooming me and haven't developed a taste for people! maybe I shouldn't eat smoked salmon in front of the tank anymore... heh

Some fish will pick to eat dead skin and some will just out right bite to defend their home, mate, eggs, or just because it's their tank and not yours!

aww but it IS my tank, don't their little fishy brains know that?  I am fish god

Clearly they don't. ;)

Most reactions

Back