My First Tank

dsingleton

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
[ Having a few issues with images - Will get them up tomorrow if possible! ]

Just posting here to show off my first ever tank.

I'll give a few details first and then post some pictures . . .

Tank : Juwel Rekord 70. (61x31x46cm) Approx. 70 Litres.
Filter / Heater : Pre-packaged Juwel Model's (not sure of the specs)
Gravel: Roman Gravel - Highland Blend

Purchased on 8th Jan '07, added 20ml of Stress Coat and 20ml of Stress Zyme.

Added the first fish on 13th Jan. Originally purchased 2x Red Tuxedo Platy's, 1x Black Molly and 1x Silver Molly. By the time I got home from the fish store the Black molly was dead. (not a good start).
Also added 2 live plants (not sure what they are).

Purchased 2 more fish today, both White Cloud Mountain Minnow (I think - was hoping for some feedback on the pictures)

Not adding anymore fish now till the tank has cycled, hoping for a peaceful community tank. Has anybody any idea as to how long the cycle may take with this setup?

Thanks

You added too many fish too quickly. I would have added about 2 fish a week, until the tank was overstocked. Monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels and when they get high, perform frequent water changes.

Other than that, the tank sounds like it would be nice. I hope you can get photos of it.

Two local pet stores advised me that due to the setup that I would be alright keeping these fish in there for a few weeks whilst it cycles.

After feeding today, I noticed that the minnow's weren't interested. Is this normal in a new tank?

started writing up a topic about this yesterday, may be of some help to you.

clicky

Fed the fish again today, and still no eating from the two minnows. I'm hoping they are going to be alright. Could it be the typeof flakes that I am using?

I have been adding one flake per fish (5 in total) into the tank each morning, the description of the flake's from the company website is as follows . . .

AQUARIAN® Tropical Flakes

AQUARIAN® Tropical Flakes are specially formulated with natural ingredients to meet the unique requirements of tropical freshwater fish. The Tropical Flakes offer a complete balanced diet for healthy, active tropical fish and contain natural marigold meal extract to maintain and enhance the fish's natural colours.

Which Fish?

For all community fish

The minnow's just don't seem interested though :(

Got some pictures last night, so hopefully I can upload them later on.

try some meaty treats... brine shrimp or bloodworms something like that. can get them from your lfs for a few pence

try some meaty treats... brine shrimp or bloodworms something like that. can get them from your lfs for a few pence

Thanks, nice quick response. I will nip down shortly and get some. Is there any real difference between getting frozen bloodworm or the normal kind?

Thanks, nice quick response. I will nip down shortly and get some. Is there any real difference between getting frozen bloodworm or the normal kind?

ummm frozen you can just keep for ages, live they've gotta be used in a few days. some fish will only accept live, i also think that them chasing round catching some live food does them good once in a while

ummm frozen you can just keep for ages, live they've gotta be used in a few days. some fish will only accept live, i also think that them chasing round catching some live food does them good once in a while

Help like this is greatly appreciated, thanks :)

When I first posted I was having issues getting the pictures uploaded. I've got them working now so here goes . . .

Picture 001 - My sunken ship with a Silver Molly

Picture 002 - The tank as a whole, looking very bare. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

NOTE: I have added a piece of black card as a temporary background for the tank now, so you cannot see the wallpaper or the wires hanging down!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 002.gif
    002.gif
    63.8 KB · Views: 40
Thats nice! I like the plants. I think they could be Wheat plants.
You have done a good job though on the whole.

nice tank, read up on this forum. it's unbelievably helpful for new guys. btw those plants (well the one I can see) is non-aquatic. It'll eventually start to rot and die submerged.

greg :good:

people keep saying they will die underwater the four i have in my tanks have been in there ranging from 7 months to 1 1/2 yers and havent died. 9lucky perhaps???)

nice tank, read up on this forum. it's unbelievably helpful for new guys. btw those plants (well the one I can see) is non-aquatic. It'll eventually start to rot and die submerged.

greg :good:

Thanks for the advise Greg. I purchased the plants from a LFS where they were submerged anyway. I can't see that being the case . . . I hope mine stay alive that long. I was planning on buying a few more.

Most reactions

Back