My first hi tech nano tank: feedback welcome!

Herbibore

Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
About five weeks in, livestock added (betta and seven ember tetras). It's a 7.1 gallon cube -- is that too many fish? Oh, and one nerite, posing nicely.
Bps of CO2 is about once every three seconds, and I haven't gassed the fish yet. One ten gallon filter and a smaller four gallon filter, so roughly twice
the filtering needed for seven gallons.

Heavily planted (hence my nickname):

a. reinecke (tissue culture) going gangbusters, and already clipped once
s. splendens (tissue culture) about to be clipped for first time
dwarf parvula (tissue culture) not doing so great, so yesterday I added monte carlo (tissue culture). The monte carlo was delayed in the mail and suffered 8'(.
amazon compacta -- from a tube, and I suspect it is a regular sword! It's in the middle
amazon sword -- from a tube, overkill no doubt, but it hides the back of the tank nicely, and can be clipped
ozelot sword -- from a tube, let it duke it out with the swords
cardinalis (lobelia) -- (tissue culture) very slow start but beginning to grow
bacopa c. / bacopa monieri -- the c. was tissue culture and very very slow to start, so I added monieri from store
red (brown?) crypt -- from a tube, and now established nicely
two types of anubias -- both from tubes, one large in middle, smaller one in darker corner, not visible
java fern -- from tube
bolbitis -- bought by mail recently, and attached to rock; seems it likes the tank!
valisneria spiralis -- bought from store recently, seems to have rooted well, and is now stretching out in the back corner, but not yet ready to take on the swords
duckmeat -- floating, bought from store
frogbit -- floating, bought from store -- both floating plants allowed to keep roots in the middle of the java fern, but both culled heavily and often

Too many plants? Not enough? Start of the inevitable algae, but not a big problem yet.
I have two Hyggers for lighting, set for eight hours a day, and I may restrict that to seven soon (too much light?)

Newby blunders:

* The driftwood. Should have researched beforehand, as I didn't boil it and let it soak. Needless to say, I got slimed! It's starting to go away, though.
* Too much Fluval soil? I had it neatly sloping from back to front, but my diddling with the driftwood sort of piled it on both sides.

I did 40% daily water changes the first week, and every other day since, but beginning to taper off in frequency and amount.

Here are pics. What pitfalls have I fallen into? Yes, I'll be clipping plants heavily, but I like that!

Attachments

• front tank with ember tetras.JPG
    front tank with ember tetras.JPG
    344.4 KB · Views: 59
  • side tank with Ruby.JPG
    side tank with Ruby.JPG
    289.4 KB · Views: 59
Update on the tank after five months: removed the wood (and betta, which went with the wood into a 6 gallon tank, pic also included).

Going more for the Dutch style now in the 7.1 gallon. I'm really happy with the results! Of course, some of the plants are getting too big, but my plan all along
was to move up to a 14 gallon tank eventually. The ember tetras, along with the amanos, hide in the herbage most of the time (in fear of the territorial female!)
Haven't read much on how territorial the females can get. There is another female, usually on the left side, but she has moved back because of the growing plants there.
One male is allowed in front, and hangs (flirts?) with the female on the left. Everyone is afraid of the one on the right, haha. During feeding they all come out to that
side, though, as that is where the filter flow hits (hence the rather ugly CO2 dispenser on that side) and the food rains down.

The 6 gallon betta tank is in my bedroom, and is very peaceful!

Attachments

• 7.1 gallon.JPG
    7.1 gallon.JPG
    405.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 6 gallon.JPG
    6 gallon.JPG
    254.7 KB · Views: 27

Most reactions

Back