My Experience With Guppys sIo far...

Grumpy Gills

Reaction score
I originally bought a pair of guppies. 1 male and 1 female.
The male died and so I went and bought another male, and another female because I had read that I should keep them in trios instead of pairs.
Sadly both the first and second female guppys passed away.
They had pale patches and ulcerations had occurred.
I determined that they were succumbing to columnaris.
To treat my tank, and my last remaining guppy, who I have named Frank, I introduced potassium permanganate to the tank.
Originally, I planned to give Frank baths outside of the tank, but there was a pea puffer living with him that was taking chunks out of Franks tail.
I did not want to stress him out anymore than necessary so at the risk of completely crashing the cycle in Franks home I added the PP directly to the tank.
Just enough to make the water turn pink. 6 hours later the water was crystal clear again.
I've learned pea puffers should not be in a tank with fish you care about. (Any fish lol)

How long should I wait before giving it a second dose?
Should I risk dosing the tank again or should I pull him out for a bath for the next treatments?
The internet hasn't provided me with very clear instructions on how to use this stuff.

Hey!

Sorry to hear about the tough time with your guppies, especially Frank. Dealing with columnaris is no joke. Good call on treating with potassium permanganate – that stuff can work wonders. Regarding the next dose, maybe give it a day or two and keep a close eye on Frank. If things are improving, you might not need another round right away. If you're unsure, maybe consider a bath for Frank to be safe. The internet can be a maze sometimes, but you're doing your best. Hang in there, and here's to Frank bouncing back!

Hey!

Sorry to hear about the tough time with your guppies, especially Frank. Dealing with columnaris is no joke. Good call on treating with potassium permanganate – that stuff can work wonders. Regarding the next dose, maybe give it a day or two and keep a close eye on Frank. If things are improving, you might not need another round right away. If you're unsure, maybe consider a bath for Frank to be safe. The internet can be a maze sometimes, but you're doing your best. Hang in there, and here's to Frank bouncing back!
Thank you, Frank seems to be fine. Other than his lips looking a little pale a few days ago he hasnt shown any signs of infection. I'm super concerned about him though after the pea puffer mangled his tail fin. He seems to be fine, but i really don't want the wounds to get infected.
I think I will hold off on the next treatment. If he starts to show any signs I'll re treat him.

Most reactions

Back