My Daughters (Ahem) First Tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nightsun

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Well I thought I would post up a really crappy photo of my 'daughters' tank.  It has been up and running now for about 3 months and we have had some fun and games in that time.....such a learning curve.

After a visit to a well known LFS that lets you look at pets (work it out), I found my self carrying out a fish in cycle with 4 glow light tetras and a collection of random plants.  Miraculously the tetras all survived (and are thriving), and after a week (a week!!) 4 neon tetras joined them.  They also thrived (more luck than judgement), and I added a couple of nerite snails and shrimp to act as a clean up crew.

A month later Henry the fighting fish joined the clan.

Since then I've had one kamikaze tetra (RIP), not sure if he was going for the high jump record or the cat took an interest.

As the plants were a random lot, they soon started to suffer, so out they came and a new lot went in....promptly killing my shrimp.  And so I found this place.

Current Stock:
4 Glowlight Tetra
4 Neon Tetra
2 Nerite Snails
2 Rabbit Snails
2 Amano Shrimp
5 Cherry Shrimp

Plants:
Green ones

Here is the tank, it is a work in progress so be kind.  I have learnt so much from the posts on here, so thanks to you all.

IMAG0259.jpg

Oh the yellow thing was my one concession to my 3 year old lad.............he may be getting his own tank soon (ahem) so it will be going in there.

Welcome to the Forum :)

Sorry to hear you had some poor advice from your LFS, unfortunately this happens all too often with new people starting this hobby.

Thanks for sharing and the tank looks good :)

Look forward to seeing your son's tank up and running soon, this time try a Fishless cycle, so much easier and more satisfying IMHO.

Hope you enjoy the forum!

welcomeani.gif
to TFF. Hope you enjoy it here!

Tank looks quite lovely, hope to see your sons tank soon!

Definitely try fishless cycling like Ch4rlie says, you can read about it HERE if you havn't already. :)

I totally understand your 'daughter's' tank.  My son is 8 and he just got 'his' first tank.   Its a betta sorority.  He has helped me a little on it, and he now feeds the girls when I tell him to, but overall, its my tank and I am the one to do all the work, etc.  He did get to add his own touch.

His touch:
12017408176_21972806f8.jpg
12017409876_227238c914.jpg

12016937064_bc558e903f.jpg

12017413186_d4fccc498b.jpg

I see a Turtles theme going here :)

Yes it was my 'Daughters' Christmas present, but seeing as she has lost interest and I'm entering a mid life crisis...looks like I've found a new hobby (safer than motorbikes).

Thanks for the compliments, it really is a work in progress...hindsight is a wonderful thing.

eaglesaquarium said:
I totally understand your 'daughter's' tank.  My son is 8 and he just got 'his' first tank.   Its a betta sorority.  He has helped me a little on it, and he now feeds the girls when I tell him to, but overall, its my tank and I am the one to do all the work, etc.  He did get to add his own touch.

His touch:
12017408176_21972806f8.jpg
12017409876_227238c914.jpg

12016937064_bc558e903f.jpg

12017413186_d4fccc498b.jpg
ha ha bet he loves them
smile.png

Most reactions

Back