My Dad Now Wants To Turn Marine

youngfisher

Marine Keeper..
Reaction score
So my dad is constantly upstairs watching my marine tank, and has decided he wants to turn his tank from tropical into marine. Atm, its a malawi cichlid community tank, but he wants to get all the equipment then swop it all over with the help of me and ofc you on the forums, although I doubt he will sign up as he has no patience with forums lol. His tank is a 130 which is 3ftx1ftx1.5ft and he is also going to invest in a sump, however he was on about having a sump which is around 150ltrs im guessing he carnt do this as its bigger than the display tank itself? But he also likes the RSM, and I think it would be alot easier for him to just get rid of his tank and get a RSM. Im guessing he would need new lights as he only has standard tropical lights, one blue and one light, as the hood has fittings for two bulbs. He will properly want to keep Softies but no doubt a few hard corals once he gets in to it, so how should we go about the lighting? I was thinking about halides, but then im thinking it will look silly on the tank so is it possible to just change the bulbs? Carnt think of anything else ermm.. lol

YF

You can have a sump bigger than the display, but why not use his current tank as the sump and the new bigger tank as the display?

as for the red sea maz, they are nice looking but forthe money, shopping around...you can get a better system.

FOr a 3' tank i reckon i would go down the t5 route. Sort of 4 tubes. Halides usually are good for around a 2' square each unless you use big reflectors.

So my dad is constantly upstairs watching my marine tank, and has decided he wants to turn his tank from tropical into marine. Atm, its a malawi cichlid community tank, but he wants to get all the equipment then swop it all over with the help of me and ofc you on the forums, although I doubt he will sign up as he has no patience with forums lol.

woo hoo - oh he must come on the forum - another member of the family :lol:

His tank is a 130 which is 3ftx1ftx1.5ft and he is also going to invest in a sump, however he was on about having a sump which is around 150ltrs im guessing he carnt do this as its bigger than the display tank itself?

He can, but one wonders why?

But he also likes the RSM, and I think it would be alot easier for him to just get rid of his tank and get a RSM.

oh yuck

Im guessing he would need new lights as he only has standard tropical lights, one blue and one light, as the hood has fittings for two bulbs.

T8 or t5?

He will properly want to keep Softies but no doubt a few hard corals once he gets in to it, so how should we go about the lighting? I was thinking about halides,

Could go halides, could go t5, could go t8 and t5, many choices - need to know whats in his tank and what he likes the look of, coral wise

but then im thinking it will look silly on the tank so is it possible to just change the bulbs?

yes possible

Carnt think of anything else ermm.. lol

YF

Get him signed up today Marine son :good:

Seffie x

:fish:

photos of tank please

Ok, well hes out atm so when he decides what he wants I will let you all know.
:p

YF

Most reactions

Back