My Community Is Not Floating My Boat Any More...

myrtle

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Well, as the title says really! My 240l planted community is really not doing it for me an more. It's been set up as it is now for about 3 years although the stock has changed over that time the tank is pretty much the same. It currently houses:

1 very large Angel,
5 Lake Tebera Rainbows (well that's what they were sold as but they are really hybrids and more aggressive that normal Rainbows),
9 Dwarf Neon Rainbows,
4 Red eye Tetra (left from and old shoal)
1 Clown Plec
1 soon to be 2 Bristlenose
2 Zebra Loaches
and a lot of Corys (they're on my sig and can't remember off the top of my head!)

Oh and 5 Amano shrimp and 1 Bamboo shrimp

I have read that Rainbows can be kept with some of the lower aggression Cichlids and am thinking of possibly going down this road a bit more than the general community with this tank.

My water is pH 7.5, 10dGH and 15dKH. The current substrate is Eco Complete which I would have to change to sand and the decor is mainly bogwood at the moment. Filtration is via 1 Fluval 405 and 1 Eheim 2224 (I think!).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could work this around some of my current stock (ie which could stay and which would go as obviously I can't just add to this lot without disaster and massively overstocking!)

When I became bored with my community set-up I went over to the Tanganyikan side...... :shifty:

Never looked back :hyper:

Funny you should say that but after reading a few threads here I have been reserching shell-dwellers (particularly Lamprologus ocellatus and meleagris)... I have also seen rainbows in Tanganyikan tanks due to the similar water requirements (hard and alkaline). I have a spare 60l that I'd been considering for shell dwellers as I'm not sure how they'd be in a 240l, could I have one area for them and the other side for something else, with possibly the rainbows staying as mid-water swimmers?
Obviously of the fish I already have the Red eyed tetra and the corys would have to go (bit sad to let the corys go) and the CLown Plec, Oto and probably loaches. I could possibly swap the 2 BN plecs from the 120l to the 240l and put the loaches and oto in there.
Hmm, any thoughts?

Hey Jo :)

If you`re thinking about shell dwellers you might want to consider the Multis over the ocellatus as the occies are pretty aggressive. In my experience with the multis, I`ve so far found them to be pretty chilled, not afraid to nip a fishes backside if it comes a bit too close to their shell but not what I would consider aggressive at all.
A couple of people on forums I use have bought occies and returned/rehomed them after only a couple of weeks due to the aggression towards not only tankmates but also to their own.

It would be nice if you could keep the rainbows as they`re lovely and entertaining but yes I think you`re on the right lines when you say you`d have to look at rehoming the others.

IF you went with the multis in your 60L you could have a good sized colony but you would also have room for them to breed as well. I have 8 adult multis and they`re breeding like rabbits, I won`t be able to keep many of the babies though because mine are all in a 35L :look:

Hmm, I don't really want a war zone especially with this being my first real foray into cichlids (unless you count 1 angelfish!) but I had really taken a shine to them... I was also looking at similis and ornatipinnis. I just casually mentioned changing the 240l set up to my husband and he can't see why. I think I'd be pushing it to set up the 60l even though the fry tank will only be running for another few months, having 5 tanks in the living room would be a bit much for him!
Perhaps multies would be better but I haven't even got as far as thinking what else could go in...

Most reactions

Back