my catfish... likes air

milba

Reaction score
ive recently noticed that my bristlenose after being latched onto the side of the tank, will release a big bubble of air then scoot up to the surface jumping out of the water and landing back in. This will happen like once every 15 mins or so for a few hours a day and im wondering if there was anything wrong with it

It might be poor aeration in the water. If it's not getting enough oxygen, it might be getting it jumping out for air. I know cories will surface to gulp air to aid in digestion but I've never heard of plecs do it.

It is normal for catfish to "dive" to the surface. My Common does it often. No doubt they would do it if the water quality was poor. My water is fine. I asked this question a while ago when I first got my catfish and I got several replies saying it is normal. :) I do worry in case it might bang it's head on the lid!

morgan said:
It is normal for catfish to "dive" to the surface. My Common does it often. No doubt they would do it if the water quality was poor. My water is fine. I asked this question a while ago when I first got my catfish and I got several replies saying it is normal. :) I do worry in case it might bang it's head on the lid!
[snapback]855215[/snapback]​

For a common it is quite normal but I have never seen bristlenoses do this unless there is a problem such as that Teelie has stated.

our commons used to do it whrn the filter needed cleaning - the oxygen levels started to faal due to less surface agitation :)

my queen arabesque only does that when the filter needs cleaning. i assume there is not enough oxygen in the water as she NEVER does it at any other time.

All plecs come from fast moving highly oxygenated rivers and streams and therefore have a high oxygen need compared to other fish.

They will gulp air from the surface if the oxygen saturation in the water drops below comfortable levels.

Adding a powerhead and/or airstone will help.

thanks for the replies, ive been away from my comp for a while so i couldnt get back but yeah i put in one of thoes air rock things and the fish seems fine

ty

I have 3 common plecs in with 3 piranhas, in a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft tank, water quality is spot on, and along with eheim filter, large powerhead blasts water around but the plecs still continue going to top for air as well now and again.

Most reactions

Back