My Betta In Vase

wildlife1023

Reaction score
My betta seems depressed and hangs around the bottom a lot. He is mopey and doesntt stay active anymore. I know hes sick. Id appreciate anyone's advice. Thanks!
any medecine he can take?
~Caroline~ :-(

Well, he's at least a year old, not TOO old though. know wut I mean?

~Caroline~ :sad:

Have you moved him? Excuse the question, but have you neglected water changes? That usually drives them to the top though.

Is lethargy the only symptom? Is he eating? Pooping. Two somewhat common ailments that are usually easy to treat are constipation and depression. The preferred treatment for constipation if the Betta cooperates is a pea. Fresh or fresh frozen...hold the salt :)

Cook the pea--I nuke them. Deshell the pea, smash the pea between your fingers, put in a small amount. Feed until he stops. If he is hungry he'll eat it. Betta will usually eat until they can't squeeze anymore in. Fast the boy. If he has been eating, he'll be alright.

If something has changed in his environment, he may be depressed. He won't eat. Play psychologist and find a cure.

his tanks may well be cooler than usual which would make him lethargic

How big is this vase you keep him in?

Common problems for bettas in vases (which is why you should avoid keeping them in there):
- Unclean water, either from too few water changes or - if in with a plant - rotting root matter
- Malnutrition (owner assumes betta eats roots)
- Temperature fluctuations; vases are not typically heated, and equally as seldom have a thermometer to moniter temp. Chances are, if the betta is lethargic, he is way too cold; unless your room temp is over 70, you can safely assume he is too cold. Bettas need a temp of at least 72 to remain healthy, and even that is pushing it.
- Not enough space. Too little water means higher waste concentrations, not enough exersize less behavioral enrichment, greater fluctuation in temperature, etc.

Cold temps and little exersize a recipie for disaster. Bettas who are cold and inactive are very prone to constipation, which can be fatal if not adressed promptly. I would make a guess that the problem is one or all of the above; might we ask how much you feed, how often you clean, and what temp the vase is?

Most reactions

Back