jmartin71

Reaction score
So here is the info about my tank:

26 Gallon Bow Front
AquaticLife Dual Lamp Light
AquaClear 50 Filter
AquaClear 30 Under Gravel Pump
90 Days Old

Last Water Change 4/27/11 (Weekly 20-25% changes)
Weekly Tests Done on Thursdays Results 3/31/01
Temp 26*C/79*F
PH 7.5
GH 10 (Med/Hard according to my test kit)
Chlorine 0 ppm
Nitrite .05 ppm
Ammonia 0 ppm

Fish

3 Baby Tiger Barbs
2 Albino Barbs
3 Full Grown Adult Green Barbs
3 Adult Blue Gourami's
1 Clown Loach

So how do the numbers look?

I am really debating what size tank I should upgrade to as well as what kind of community I would like to have. I am really looking at a 75 - 90 gallon rectangle shape tank. So my dilemma is do I move all the fish, some of the fish, none of the fish and start fresh in the new tank. So I was thinking of doing Gouramis, Angelfish and Discus. But if I do that I can't do any Barbs because the nip at long finned fish. Then I thought of Gouramis and Barbs and then transforming my 26g Bow to a Angelfish and Discus tank and have 3 and 3. So Can somebody help the new addicted guy out?

Any thoughts on Community set-up? I am trying to go by my local shops advise but I read on here don't trust an local fish shops. So any help I would appreciate!!

Lastly I tried to post pics and a video it would not let me post any said file extension not allowed I'm not sure how to do it, can I get a tutorial on that as well!!

Thanks for the advise ahead of time and I look forward to becoming part of this community!!

Your clown loach is going to get pretty big so you're going to have to move it eventually. There is controversy over keeping angelfish with discus, but I don't have any personal experience with either fish. Discus require soft water so you will have to use filtered water or some kind of water softener. Also, your 26 gal is too small for discus. They need about 10 gallons per fish and like to be kept in groups of six or more. (Goodness I want a discus tank!!)

i've had problems with fin nippers and gouramis and gouramis with other gouramis. i also agree that the clown loach will need a bigger tank. but everything else sounds good!

26 gallon is really not big enough for even one angelfish and never 3 angels and 3 discus. I don't know barbs at all. Can you leave them in the 26 gallon and move the rest?

26 gallon is really not big enough for even one angelfish and never 3 angels and 3 discus. I don't know barbs at all. Can you leave them in the 26 gallon and move the rest?

Thanks I could leave all the barbs in the 26 yes. That's what I am thinking. As for the Angelfish and Discus. I had read on here that 1 Angel for every 3-5 Gallons is that not a true number? But thanks for the input!!

others have mentioned the potential size of the clown loach, also they need to be kept in groups so if your planning on keeping it, get a few more to keep it company, they are very slow grower.

i do believe its a 30gal minimum for angels

Unfortunately I agree - 30 US gallon volume is pretty much the lower limit our members have arrived at and with a minimum of 17" of vertical height in addition and even then 30 would be for a pair at most. The problem comes when the angels get old, they are very tall and they also get stressed if they don't sense that they have enough "cover" of water depth above them and below them (remember, to a fish both the surface and the bottom may represent the location of the things that prey upon them!)

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back