My 10g Betta Tank

bburls13

Reaction score
I've had this 10g tank running for about a month now and just got the betta a couple days ago. He's doing fine, he is actually very active, yet whenever I take my camera out to take pictures of him he sinks to the bottom and becomes far less active! :rolleyes:
I plan on adding some more java ferns, more taller plants in the back along with about 4 dwarf corydoras.

I actually converted this tank over from saltwater. It became too much of a hassle with all of the water changes, and I feel like I will enjoy this tank much more.

Attachments

• IMG_0090.JPG
    IMG_0090.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 36
Hello and welcome to the forum! The tank looks nice and your fish is beautiful - and adorable. What is his name? I am fairly new to this myself, but there are two little things I would bring up:

1) The substrate does not look very smooth to me. Betta's fins are very delicate. I myself only use small rounded pebbles and I know other forum members use sand. Hopefully one of the more experienced members can tell you if this might be an issue in the long run or not.

2) When you add more plants, see if you can get at least one that is taller. a) They need to go up to gulp air and like being able to rest closer to the surface. b) they mostly only make their bubblenests when there is something to help them hold the bubbles together, such as a leaf that is close to/flush with the surface or gently breaks through the surface.

Also, most betta owners provide some kind of "cave" for their betta to use. Either a sanded down coconut cave or a terra cotta pot, etc. Not all, but many betta like having caves.

Oops - correction. I just saw that you kind of made a cave out of some of the big rocks, right?

Lovely betta, and nice tank, but as shred said the substrate is very cory friendly. I had fine black gravel in mine, it was finer then wat u got there, but i changed to sand, cos it so much better for them

Yep i agree, personally i use sand and i know alot of other people do, i started off like you using stones that really wasnt very good for a betta i changed to sand and its easier to keep clean but even better its more betta friendly. :)

i agree you should change the substance if you want corys and i would get 6 they wil be more active than if u only have 4.

Thank you for the replies and suggestions, I will change it to sand as soon as I can.

Hi bburls13 :)

Welcome to the forum! :hi:

Your tank and betta are lovely, but I have to agree with what was said about corys and the substrate. While it's not necessary to have sand, finer gravel would be better for them. The idea is to prevent uneaten food and other debris from filtering down into a coarse substrate. Since corys are bottom dwellers they are more likely to be harmed by the bacteria that grows in it. With either sand or gravel, take care to get ones that are smooth and rounded. This will prevent damage to their barbells.

You could easily keep a dozen dwarf corys in your tank. They are sometimes shy and the more of them there are, the happier they will be. :D

Thats a lovely betta and a lovely big tank he has all to himself.

Are you going to get some cories so he has some friends ? Or keep it so its just him ?

Most reactions

Back