Must be an acquired taste

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Verdict is not in yet… but my fish love Ultra Fresh food… all this talk about Bug Bites… I bought a jar… same size pieces as the Ultra Fresh… everyone tried them… only a few fish actually ate them… I don’t feel as the Bug Bites are better… but I like feeding variety… we’ll see how it goes the next couple feedings, if they get used to them or not… they look similar ( different color) but same size, so they all hit them with enthusiasm for the 1st pellet, then only a couple others continued to eat

I can do pictures of the ingredient lists in a couple hours

No ingredient list on the Bug Ites
IMG_4196.jpeg
IMG_4195.jpeg

Looking at the product - the food looks good but the claims don't. Freshwater fish will eat shrimp and sea derived foods like this, but it isn't 'natural' to them. Bugs are, which is why I like to use bug bites. I'm waiting for ant based food though, and not just soldier fly larvae for my insectivores. At this point, I look at the fibre content first.

I can easily make my own frozen foods by going to a fish market and assembling these ingredients. This stuff looks more convenient. I figure if you use flake, then you should have three types of flake in rotation, for variety. This looks like I'd add it to the rotation.

Brands come and go with great regularity, and they are always the best thing ever. I'm always skeptical - I've seen so many imperfect perfect foods. They're always worth a try though.

Here's the ingredient list for bug bites:
Ingredients: Black soldier fly larvae, salmon, fish protein concentrate, green peas, potato, wheat, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, DL-methionine, lecithin, choline chloride, L-lysine, vitamin E supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium L-ascorbyl-2-monophosphate, marigold extract, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, D-calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12 supplement, beta-carotene, rosemary extract, riboflavin, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, inositol, folic acid, vitamin A supplement, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, vitamin D3 supplement.

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein (%) (min) 40.0, Crude fat (%) (min) 12.5, Crude fiber (%) (max) 5.0, Moisture (%) (max) 10.0, Ash (%) (max) 9.0, Calcium (%) (min) 1.50%, Phosphorus (%) (min) 0.80%, Vitamin A (IU/kg) (min) 2,500, Vitamin D3 (IU/kg) (min) 2,400, Vitamin E (IU/kg) (min) 75.

Most reactions

Back