Murdered Mate

Brightestdai

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
1E769606-30F2-4766-9F89-F134A9242D9D-8230-000008DAE253F286_zps870856d0.jpg

Please help, my male 3 dot "Phantom" has been acting aggressive lately. He's injured my female jumbo betta
D5500369-C509-4747-A3A2-58859D3C4EAE-7730-00000889C64B79E7_zps146e2030.jpg
and killed one of his mates today. I've watched him do this multiple times, and I don't understand why he's doing this?
He's in a 55g tank with 1 3 dot and 2 opaline female, 1 small angel, 4 guppies and 2 snails. I water test every week and levels are spot on. If you have any ideas, please help

Gourami's and Betta's are too closely related to be kept together peacefully in a tank of that size (Three Spots are one of the worst), neither of them will probably get along with the Angel in the log run either. Also watch out for your Guppies becoming a snack for the Angel once it is fully grown. When you say 'mate' are you referring to a female Gourami?

gouramis are like fastfood or junk food for bettas they look to them as other bettas and become very aggressive towards him revolving into a fight unntil death

Yes he's killed his female, and I hadn't planed on keeping the angel once it was bigger

Fair enough with the Angel, just make sure you keep an eye out to make sure it is not on the receiving end of any aggression. It could just be you have an extremely aggressive male, a freak of nature if you like.Was the female roughly the same size as him? If she was too small she may have been to weak to fend of his 'admiration' for her. Try to make sure there is plenty of cover for them to get away from each other if they feel the need.

I have tons of hiding spots, and the female was the same size if not a little bigger then the male

Some male Three Spot Gouramis are very aggressive. I had a 2 inch Gold Three Spot that chased and harassed a huge 4 inch Sailfin Molly until I separated them. I also had to return a very aggressive Blue Gourami because she was attacking all the other Gouramis. Meanwhile I have a pair of Pearls, an Opaline Three Spot & a Paradise Gourami all living together in near perfect harmony. Sometimes it all depends on the individual and your particular male doesn't seem to like the company of others. I'm afraid the only solution may be to re home him.

Most reactions

Back