Murder In My Aquarium

cleekdaFish

Fishaholic
Reaction score
last nite, 1 of my cories was swimming funny so i stared at him up close and his fins were nipped...i have tiger barbs and a krib. The poor cory died later in my hands

Theres a murderer on the lose and when I find that mother####er , hes history :crazy: :crazy:

last nite, 1 of my cories was swimming funny so i stared at him up close and his fins were nipped...i have tiger barbs and a krib. The poor cory died later in my hands

Theres a murderer on the lose and when I find that mother####er , hes history :crazy: :crazy:

easy.......tiger barbs. They nip fins day and night. Off with their heads.

may i suggest, being an animal lover, instead of killing the tiger barbs, taking them back to the fish shop, maybe in exchange for something else?

The poor cory died later in my hands
Maybe it died because it was in your hands? :p
I'd second tiger barbs but I don't know anything about the behaviour of kribs so cant rule it out., How many tiger barbs do you have? They are always nippy but they can be especially nasty when there isn't a decent sized shoal of them. You could take them back to the shop, try adding more of them (if the tank is big enough and mature enough). Either you will want to include nice hiding places for your corys, clay pots make very good caves and my corys used to love them :good: .
I think kribs appreciate them too since I've seen them spawn in one..

may i suggest, being an animal lover, instead of killing the tiger barbs, taking them back to the fish shop, maybe in exchange for something else?
I think edgun88 may have been joking ;) .

How many Tiger Barbs do you have? It's easy to blame them without any information. A tank size might help also as Kribs can be very aggressive especially when mating so a Male/Female ration on these may help also.

Kribs are not nice fish when it comes to bottom dwellers! But if there are only a few of TB then I say it is them!

its not the cribs its your tiger barbs i have the same problem my tigers mauled my corie the krib (the general manager as i call him) just kinda chases them away not bites just moves at them but it was more than likely your tiger barb...but are you sure you didn't kill it while it was in your hands...you know it is a fish it needs water =p lol well sorry for your loss m8 i feel ya

its not the cribs its your tiger barbs i have the same problem my tigers mauled my corie the krib (the general manager as i call him) just kinda chases them away not bites just moves at them but it was more than likely your tiger barb...but are you sure you didn't kill it while it was in your hands...you know it is a fish it needs water =p lol well sorry for your loss m8 i feel ya

Could be either, TB's are nippers and kribs can be nasty to bottom feeders what size is the tank?

The poor cory died later in my hands
Maybe it died because it was in your hands? :p
I'd second tiger barbs but I don't know anything about the behaviour of kribs so cant rule it out., How many tiger barbs do you have? They are always nippy but they can be especially nasty when there isn't a decent sized shoal of them. You could take them back to the shop, try adding more of them (if the tank is big enough and mature enough). Either you will want to include nice hiding places for your corys, clay pots make very good caves and my corys used to love them :good: .
I think kribs appreciate them too since I've seen them spawn in one..

I think edgun88 may have been joking ;) .

I have 6 barbs , all mixed, from tiger to blk ruby barbs....I have had cories for 4 months now and I never saw a barb attacking them...they sometime chase them but that would be it.. I'll keep them , ther s a fish store around here that takes in fish and give u 33% credit, but I wont do it..barbs 4 life no matter how many killing sprees they go on :shout:

I have 6 barbs , all mixed, from tiger to blk ruby barbs
Not good, generally in a community tank 8 is the magic number for tiger barbs, and one or a couple of each different species will jst stress them out and make them more aggressive.
If you want to keep your barbs, choose your favourite species and bump the number up to 6 and take the others back...
If the aggression still occurs and your tank has room, bump the number up a little again :good: .

Seriously, though, how big is the tank? Agression can be much worse if the fish are cramped or don't have enough numbers to keep them comfortable. I've bred kribs and kept tiger barbs and have never had a problem with them killing the cories in tanks. That being said, it was a 45g that had plenty of space for the breeding pair and the other fish. I had 8 tiger barbs in there. Was a nice semi-agressive setup. I later moved the barbs to a 29g and replaced them with danios (better dither fish and I wanted to raise fry), but that's not important.

I just want to add some other things which are very important to take into consideration, firstly;
a. Did you actually ever witness any agression/harrasment from either the barbs or krib towards the corys?
b. Tattered looking fins are a classic symptom of finrot. If you never witnessed any agression between the barbs and kribs towards the corys, its completely reasonable to assume that the fin damage was not from bullying but actually from finrot. Finrot can also come about very dramatically in fish sometimes- one day the fishes fins look fine, and the next day they have big chunks missing out of them.

I'd also like to add that you should never touch fish with your hands because;
a. The temperature of your hands is much hotter than that of the fishes body temp and the heat from your hands is very stressful for the fish to endure.
b. Fish are covered in a protective slime coat which protects them from things like deseases and parasites. The slime coat however can be very easily damaged from physical contact, and when damaged makes the fish in question much more vunerable to attacks from deseases/parasites etc.
So you shouldn't handle fish with your hands as you can easily damage the fish from handling them- its also another reason why you should never net fish unless very nesarsary, and if you have to, the net you use should be of a very fine material to help reduce the chances of bits of the fish getting caught or scratched on the netting. Ideally, the best way to move a fish is to catch it in a container or bag full of water so the fish is not forced into contact with the sides of the container and can swim about freely in it.

Most reactions

Back