Multi Breed Stocking Suggestions Please

jax13

Reaction score
I have a 54l tank set up that I want to get to capacity over the next couple of months and was hoping for some suggestions and advice.

Currently, I have 1 male and 2 female platy's and 3 ember tetra (and 3 platy fry but one or two of these are going to my friends)

I would like a variety of colour and size to an extent but don't want to go down the line of getting unsuitable fish for the community.

With 1 or 2 fry kept back I will have 4/5 total platys
I will increase ember tetra numbers to 5 or 6
I want to put 5 or 6 lampeye in there too.

Next I was thinking something like a red tail shark or a ruby shark but was thinking of just 1
I would also like a catfish of some description, I'd prefer something pretty laid back that won't get too big that will be safe for other inhabitants (not bothered about them hoovering up fry to be honest as I was going for a survival of the fittest approach to the platys)
Lastly, I would like something to keep the tank clean, I was thinking of a couple of snails that won't breed and will help keep the glass clean and then the idea of shrimp got into my head and I wouldn't mind them too.

So, what are your thoughts on stock levels that meet my ideas for a 600 x 300mm 54l tank that is fairly well planted and has good oxygenation

I think with the 3 Platies, 6 Ember Tetras and 6 Lamp Eyes you are well on the way to a fully stocked tank. The sharks you mention both get to 6 inches and are reasonably active fish so would make a very bad choice for this tank you want at least a 4 foot tank for either of these.

As for adding a bottom dweller the only things I would suggest would be Dwarf Hara Catfish and Cherry Shrimp.

Wills

You could have a type of corydora as a bottom dweller?
For snails, nerites would be good. :)

Tank too small for a redtail black shark. Shark would harass every fish you have. Fry wouldnt survive either as shark would have nonstop food supply. They get more aggressive and territorial as they age.Tank at minimal should be in the 50-75 gallon range.

What about switching the shark idea to a sword tail? Would these be ok in the tank or do they get too big? I how are they as a solitary fish or should I be looking at a pair or trio? (don't want to fry off them so would be looking for all male or all female and removing / rehoming uneaten fry

Swordtails should be kept in a minimum of twenty gallons.

You could definitely keep nerite snails, but I would add no more fish after finishing up your schools.

Swordtails are still a pretty big fish for this kind of tank.

You might do okay with a pair of dwarf cichlids - but you would have to stick to the smallest of the small - Nannacara Anomala or Nannacara Taenia would be my first choice but Laetacara Dorsiger would do well in there I think. I would avoid the marginally larger Laetacara Curviceps though. And totally avoid any other kind of dwarf cichlid like Rams or Apistos

An other option for a feature fish would be some kind of Badis or Dario there are quite a few species around these days and these tiny perches have some incredible character to them once they have settled in the tank.

Or Pygmy or Sparkling Gourami would be a good option - but not Dwarf Gourami

Wills

Most reactions

Back