Moving Water

PENNYWISE

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi simple one this. MY new tank should be here on saturday what want to know is if i save all the water from my current tank which has 2 mature filters running on it and put it in the new tank fill up the balance with fresh water with the correct amount of dechlorinater will my fish be okay to go straight in?

SORRY I'VE JUST READ THAT BACK TO MYSELF HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT I MEAN

yea, if you move the filters and the water over to the new tank, add declor, your fish can go strait in.

Sounds good to me. If you are not taking the gravel, ornaments etc across, you will lose some bacteria that way but it should be very little and nothing to worry about. I say go for it.

If your new tank is much bigger, try to match the parameters of the fresh water as near as possible to the water from the old tank, temperature especially. This should give you the best chance. :good:

when i moved house last year i was told that you can replace 100% of the water so long as we could keep the filter mature (wasn't difficult only moved 1/2 a mile). Didn't lose a single fish during the process, just took a lot of boiling to get the tank up to temp.

remember the bacteria are mostly in the filter and will only survive for a few hours at best and only if kept wet.

also a 100% change could bring other rewards as it did with my BN's spawning.

Just make sure the filter isn't turned off for too long. I'd save some of the old water, too, just enough to half fill the new tank, then top up with fresh.

Hi ive bought a big drum that will hold 160 liters of water so what i plan to do is net all the fish put them in a container (my daughters old baby bath) with a towel over them to avoid escapees, the rest of the water with a heater to keep it at the current temp will go in the big drum, which is big enough for my 2 tetratec ex1200 to run through to keep the bacteria alive. Does anyone see a problem if so please tell me now because i have about 10 hours to rethink this aproach thanks Dave

if the filter is away from fish for more than like 2 hrs or so the bacteria starts to die.

Most reactions

Back