Moving To A Larger Tank

glasgow

Reaction score
I currently have a 80l tank with about 12 tetras and a couple of small catfish (internal filter). I've just purchased a second-hand 200l tank, with an external filter, and am about to move over. These are the steps I propose - any mistakes?

1) put new gravel and 100 l of declorinated water into tank. Transfer plants and bogwood from old tank.
2) set up external filter and heating - allow some hours to settle and reach temperature
3) put filter media from old tank into new external filter (I imagine I can simply cut the sponge and insert it)
4) transfer old water (as much of the 80l as I can) and fish - top up with new water
5) wait a month or so before adding any new fish
6) after that month, remove old filter sponge (and perhaps use this to to set up old tank as a spare)

Does this seem correct? Have I missed any useful tips?

Be prepared to have to empty the new tank afteryou initially fill it as you might find its not level or there's fluff or dust floating around in it. I'd give it a day or two to get up to temp and settle. Otherwise that's exactly what I did when I upgraded and didn't have any issues. Probably would leave the old media in there for a couple of months though just to be on the safe side.

Be prepared to have to empty the new tank afteryou initially fill it as you might find its not level or there's fluff or dust floating around in it. I'd give it a day or two to get up to temp and settle. Otherwise that's exactly what I did when I upgraded and didn't have any issues. Probably would leave the old media in there for a couple of months though just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for that. I will leave it a few days as you suggest.

I've also got another 80l tank elsewhere in the house - I'm thinking I'll remove half the filter media from that too and put it in the new tank's external filter

If you are equipped to cycle a new filter, set up the new tank and get everything running, clean the old filter in the new tank and return the old filter to its original location. Complete a fishless cycle over the next week in that new tank and add your stocking to it. Meanwhile your old tank is running and supporting your existing fish. I love simplicity. Moving water over is never needed unless you are intentionally altering your tank water to values very different to your tap water.

Note: use a spirit level to level the new tank stand, it is a lot easier than filling and draining an aquarium.

Note: use a spirit level to level the new tank stand, it is a lot easier than filling and draining an aquarium.

I did that, was level when I started but carpet turned out to have two layers of underlay at one end and when it was half filled it was half an inch out end to end! The weight of the water can make things shift around.

Most reactions

Back