Moving My Goldfish To A Pond

crmpicco

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am looking for some advice on moving my coldwater fish to a pond.

I currently have two fish in my Hagen Tropiquarium 68 which has a 72ltr capacity. I have one 6 year old comet, which is around 17cm in length and a 9 month old shubunkin which is 9cm in length. A family member has a pond that currently has 4/5 goldfish in it at the moment and I am looking to move my fish into the pond fairly soon. I have been advised, by many, that my comet should have progressed into a pond by now.

The pond is filtrated (by a recently renewed filter/pump) and has been in place for around 15 years, so it must be doing ok in terms of structure and habitability for comets, shubunkins etc.

What should my concerns be about moving the fish? Do I need to test the water levels as I have an API kit - although i'm not sure if this is needed for a pond. The pond hasn't been cleaned out since last summer as far as i'm aware, but as I say i've never kept a pond before so I don't know how often or how you clean out a pond that is home to coldwater fish. What sort of maintainence should be carried out on the pond?

I'm planning on converting to a tropical tank, which is the reason for moving my goldfish, however i'll save that for another thread in the appropriate sub-forum.

Cheers,
Picco
twitter.com/crmpicco

Most. lightly stocked ponds don't need much 'cleaning out' as such. We do that in our tanks more for looks than anything. Water changes are always beneficial if they can be arranged though.

I'd just float your fish in bags as if they were new from the shop and leave them to it, I'm sure they'll be quite happy :) And good for you on making the right choice for your fish too :good:

As for converting your tank to a tropical tank; the filter bacteria are the same, so if it's cycled now it can stay cycled for your trops, but you'll need to get them in within a few days of the goldfish leaving or the bacteria will die back.

Most. lightly stocked ponds don't need much 'cleaning out' as such. We do that in our tanks more for looks than anything. Water changes are always beneficial if they can be arranged though.

I'd just float your fish in bags as if they were new from the shop and leave them to it, I'm sure they'll be quite happy :) And good for you on making the right choice for your fish too :good:

As for converting your tank to a tropical tank; the filter bacteria are the same, so if it's cycled now it can stay cycled for your trops, but you'll need to get them in within a few days of the goldfish leaving or the bacteria will die back.

Yes, 'm going tropical with my empty tank, but I thought i'd reserve that discussion for another thread.

I would certainly say that the pond is established - it's been in place for over 15 years and it has had fish in it since 2005. I believe two of those fish are still there.

I went to P@H today and got a couple of bags to move the fish, they're pretty big so I think they'll be safe enough being transported in that.

Other than goldfish/pond sticks, what else do fish eat in ponds?

There is a metal grid over the top of the pond, so i'm confident that herons won be coming down to swipe my fish from the pond as food.

6 years old! WOW!

Is your surprise at the age of my comet or the fact that he is still in a tank at 6 years of age?

The age of the comet. A responsible fish keeper can easily do that. That makes you a responsible fishkkeeper! :good:

Most reactions

Back