Moving House And Fish

deanrar

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
in a couple of months i will be moving out of my uni house back to my normal house but i have a couple of problems my house is 350 miles away and i have a 35gal tank (3 dwarf gourami, 2 mollies, 4 cories, 3 kuhlis) and a 5 gal tank (4 guppies and cherry shrimp), well i have a van sorted to get everything done there but i was just wondering what would be the best way to get the fish down home alive?
Any advice would be much appreiciated.
Cheers,
Dean.

I recently moved from NC to NY. I used 3 10 gallon rubber maid container. I split up the fishes in each one equally, and added all driftwood and plants in them. I also put the bio stuff that's in the filters in the container. I emptied about 80 percent of the water from the tanks. I used a 6 dollar battery power air pump that I got from Wal-Mart in the sporting good section. It gave air to all 3 containers perfectly. The fishes were with my wife in the car while the tanks we packed last in the u-haul.

Once I arrived the set up the tanks first then added driftwood and plants. I also tested the pH and made sure the fish were properly acclimatize. Then I added them to the tank. Everything survived but one black tetra. The tanks didn't even go through a mini cycle. You'll probably find something that could be improved or altered to your situation.

Good luck with your move. Let us know how it goes.

If you go to a dealer they will give you some large bags and a polystyrene box to transport the fish in. The bags are packed in to the box so they don't move around or fall over. i moved 350 miles doing this and set the tank up prior to my move. i bought a small tank to move them to, got it cycled with water from the original tank and set it up in the new house.

Most reactions

Back