Moving a tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

smarties

Reaction score
I have my 21gal (UK) Fluval 800 tank all set up, cycled and part stocked. I have decided I need to move the tank from one room to another. Any advice please on best way to do this with least amount of disruption to fish? I have the tank set up in a room that is not frequented so much. Having decided how lovely the tank is me and the wife now want it moved to the main room of course :)

Thanks

Hi smarties

Never an easy task, but on a small tank not too hard.

Get yourself a few clean buckets. Empty out as much water as you can, after first turning off the filter and the heater. Catch the fish and place into one of the buckets. Now get the help of a strong helper. Move the tank to its new location. Replace the water, making sure not to disturb the gravel. Now replace the fish, and turn on the heater and filter. Job done.

Hi Smarties. Im going to be doing the same very soon. ( Ikeep saying soon but I never seem to get round to it. Have to complete DIY work first :crazy: )

Anyway do you have a spare small tank, This would be very handy to put your fish in while you move the big tank. Itll also keep some of your cycled water. If you dont have a spare tank you could always ask your lfs for some of those polysterine boxes used for transporting the fish. You also want to try and keep as much old (cycled) water as possible. When I asked a similar question to yours one idea was to take all the water outand put it in a clean bath. then move the tank and replace the water.

Try to coax a couple friends into helping you (maybe offer a case of beer for after the job is done? :D ) Getting the job done as quickly as possible will help reduce stress on your fish. I've used big plastic storage boxes to hold the water as I'm hestitant to put in the tub in fear of residue from cleaning products. I've moved my 72gal three times in the past 6 years (once to paint the walls, once to rearrange the furniture, and once to make room for another tank). Always makes for a fun afternoon :blink:

these sound like good plans, in case i ever plan on moving my tank. something i learned when filling or refilling my tank (this may be old hat, but worth repeating if it's helpful) so as not to disturb the gravel at the bottom of the tank - place a small plate at the bottom of the tank and poor in the water over the plate. works nicely!

Most reactions

Back