Mostly Northern Territory Native Tank

Baccus

We are not born just so we can die
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
The tank is not huge and was recently upgraded from a shallower longer tank to this shorter but deeper tank.
The tank is 61cm x 30 cm x 38cm.

The substrate is a mix of washed river sand, black sand, river gravel and some larger smooth pebbles. There is also a large hollow log that dominates most of the floor space.
The tank originally started out as a native shrimp tank, but because my tanks are in a car shed and open topped mosquitos became a potential problem, so the hunt began for a suitable small fish to eat the mosquitos but not necessarily the shrimp. Enter the often over looked stunning, feisty and a times timid Spotted Blue Eye, a lovely little native fish that comes from the Northern Territory, the western tip of Cape York and a southern section of Papua New Guinea.

The shrimp in the tank are North Australian Chameleon Shrimp (Caridina sp WA4) these guys live up to their name and regularly change their colours and patterns

There are also Blackmore River Shrimp (Caridina sp NT2) also from the Northern Territory

Some of the berried females of this species can get just as interesting patterns as the chameleon shrimp.

I also have in the tank Darwin Algae Shrimp (Caridina sp NTnilotica)these are quite a large chuncky shrimp and once again at times mainly when berried the females can get some nice gentle colouration, often with a prominent back stripe.

And finally in the shrimp department are the Darwin Red-Nose Shrimp (Caridina sp gulf1) these are a skinny but long shrimp with a nose that looks like a red needle.

All of these species of shrimp can and do breed in fresh water.

For snails I have introduced Ramshorn and MTS but also some rather interesting natives from my local area. Namely a species of Notopala

This very large black snail I am still yet to identify

And this snail that is similar to MTS but has a spikier shell and is also squatter

Plant wise there is thin leafed Val Rotala mexicana, Hornwort and a plant I have always known as parrot feather, recently I also just added a small red tiger lotus.

Nice job I love it.

Looks good Baccus, I love the red nose shrimp. I had a few a few years ago. They're so funny. :)

Thanks everyone, the beauty of these red noses is that they can and do breed in fresh water so no mucking about with brackish.
The spotted blue eyes keep producing the odd couple of babies so their number is slowly growing and the blackmore shrimp will really hit there breeding straps again in summer.
I will be waiting and keeping a close eye on if the notopala snails actually manage to produce any young.

Wow!

Gorgeous shrimps there!!

I am making one shrimp community tank soon!!

I like the idea of a native tank. I have thought about it a few times over the years but just never put it to action. There are plenty of interesting native, naturalized, and invasive species of creatures here in South Florida. USA. I like the native things but there seem to be fewer and fewer of them as they are replaced by invasives. I grew up here and a lot has changed regarding the species that can be found on land, but I know little about what has happened in the water.

I would actually like to do one that includes predatory aquatic insects. There is a lake right here outside, but I have no space for anything larger than 5 gallons unfortunately. Its driving me a little nuts since my husband got this large tank. No fair! lol

Most reactions

Back