Most definitely rough seas getting started...

FishyJoe

Reaction score
Okay, so for Christmas of 2021, my wife and I got my 13 year old son a Fluval SPEC 5 gallon. We knew nothing of taking care of fish and ignorantly thought, take tank out of box, add water, put in fish. Done. Wow. How wrong we were. But here we are 8 months later and we've learned so much. We now have 2 tanks (long story), and have killed many fish, but for a period of time, had a stable fish tank with a guppy and a cory. No plants. Then we added a plant. Still all seemed relatively good. Then we added more two more small fish (can't recall the name of the fish, but it was recommended by a very reputable fish shop who knew our story), and things took a turn for the worse. I'm not sure what variable it was. Was it the new fish? Was it the plant? Was it because my son (without me knowing) started feeding the fish too much. Something else? Anyways... his guppy died, but his cory is still alive. In an effort to do a control experiment with the second tank. I cycled it up, got my plant, tested, and all the other stuff I learned I needed to do. Finally added a molly fish. It's been super alive and swimming like a winner. Water is clear and all chemistry is spot on. Doing proper maintenance. I now know I can properly keep a fish alive.

But my son's tank is murky, cloudy. All the ph, nitrate, nitrates, hardness and ammonia are spot on. There is a bright green algae growing that does not die with any sort of algae killer. I've done more water changes, and added Prime, Stability, as recommended by fish store owners, but no amount of water changes seem to help. I did a test (that's why I set up my tank) by getting another molly from the same store, and as soon as I added it to the tank I noticed that the fish's behavior changed. It went to the bottom and really wasn't swimming at all. Much like the cory. (which is still alive). The very next morning the molly was dead. It was bloated, and it had covered in white. Again, all of the chemistry is spot on.

I am working now to set up a "hospital" tank to move the cory to, but need time to get bacteria going, since he's been in that bad tank for months now and been surviving. He will often go to the top of the tank like a jet, take a breathe and jet back down to the bottom to not move. Once I get him out of there in the hospital tank, I'm going to dump all the contents of the tank, wipe it down (no chemical cleaners), let it air dry, and put all new filters pumps, filter sponges, biomax and charcoal in there, along with a plant, and let it cycle. I know really this is the best (and seemingly) only way.

But what I cannot figure out, and I want help with, is figuring out what the problem is. Lack of oxygen? A bacteria? Some form of really bad algae? I did make the mistake of taking a garden planter piece of plastic to add the plant to with marble rocks (to keep it weighted down) - and yes, I realize that was a mistake, and maybe the cause??? - when I added the plant. I'm not going to do that again, but 1) can anybody pinpoint the problem and 2) why is the cory still alive?

Thanks,

FishyJoe

Hey FishyJoe, welcome aboard! Sorry to hear you guys had to learn the hard way, many of us have been through the same thing so don't sweat!

What would be really helpful is a photo of your tanks and if you could give us your exact parameters including your water hardness please

Freshwater tank...
Ammonia = 0, Nitrate = 80, Nitrite = 0.5, pH = 7.0, KH = 180, GH = 180

Attachments

• Tank.jpeg
    Tank.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 32
Thank you! OK so the very first thing that's popping out to me is that this tank isn't cycled...ammonia and nitrite should be reading 0. So that may be your problem 🥴

Live plants will not hurt, I very much encourage you to get a load, floating plants will be beneficial too. Do big water changes using Seachem Prime every day until your nitrite levels read 0...just out of curiosity, have you tested your water straight out the tap?

Freshwater tank...
check your tap water for nitrate.
you want nitrates as close to 0ppm as possible and below 20ppm at all times.

check your tap water for nitrate.
you want nitrates as close to 0ppm as possible and below 20ppm at all times.
Oh jeepers! 🤣 I didn't even see that!! 🧐 it's a good job one of us is awake! Yeah that's way too high

Freshwater tank...
Sorry, I was reading my chart wrong. Apologize! Ammonia = 0, Nitrate and Nitrite = 0, ph =7.0, KH and GH 180.

What are you using to test the water, strips or liquid testers? It's just that some strip brands only measure up to 180 ppm and anything above that still reads as 180. If you have one of these, GH could be a lot higher.

What are you using to test the water, strips or liquid testers? It's just that some strip brands only measure up to 180 ppm and anything above that still reads as 180. If you have one of these, GH could be a lot higher.
I'm using API strips. According to the Diagnostic Chart, I'm good with Nitrate and Nitrite at 0, which is Ideal, and close on pH (although it's a color, so it's difficult to be certain) at 7.5... (should be 7.0 for freshwater).

But I've also had several professional fish shops test my water, and they've all said my levels were perfect, so I'd trust them over my readings.

I use Prime and Stability to correct for water chemistry.

Get the API Freshwater Master test kit, liquid kits are more accurate & reliable than the paper strips...best to do your own testing, than to rely on what the shops tell you

Get the API Freshwater Master test kit, liquid kits are more accurate & reliable than the paper strips...best to do your own testing, than to rely on what the shops tell you
All of that is fine, but do you have any idea why my cory is hanging on and all other fish who go in that tank are doomed to toxic death? What is causing it. There are no nitrates or nitrates, no ammonia, and the pH is within range (not ideal, but still okay), and the GH and KH are the same.

pH, GH and KH do not have a normal range - it depends on the fish species. Hard water fish need a pH over 7 and a high GH and KH. Soft water fish need low GH and KH and a pH under 7.

API test strips only measure up to 180 ppm so your GH could be 180 or anything above that.

Having said that, cories are soft water fish while mollies are hard water fish. And the 'wrong' GH/pH don't kill quickly, they're slow killers.

There is a bright green algae growing that does not die with any sort of algae killer
How much algae killer have you added, what type and does the addition of them correspond to fish deaths shortly afterwards?

pH, GH and KH do not have a normal range - it depends on the fish species. Hard water fish need a pH over 7 and a high GH and KH. Soft water fish need low GH and KH and a pH under 7.

API test strips only measure up to 180 ppm so your GH could be 180 or anything above that.

Having said that, cories are soft water fish while mollies are hard water fish. And the 'wrong' GH/pH don't kill quickly, they're slow killers.

How much algae killer have you added, what type and does the addition of them correspond to fish deaths shortly afterwards?
I have API Algaefix. I added the recommended amount per 5 gallons every 3 days as instructed. It did nothing. All of this started around the time we got the plant. The tank had been cycled for weeks prior to adding fish. Readings on water were good for tropical fish. We got a cory and a guppy. They were both fine for 2+ months. Water was clear. Then added the plant. As stated in the OP, I made a mistake and used an outside plastic potting plant. This could have been one area of introduction to the downfall. But my son also started changing feeding habits (without me knowing and for no reason why) - he was feeding 3 times a day, way more than he should have. Then after those fish and the plant were stable for weeks, we added two more fish. Both the cory and guppy at that time were great. I don't recall the name of them, but we noticed that when we added them, they sort of hung around in the corner and didn't swim much. They died a few days later. Then the guppy went all bonkers. It sat on the bottom. So I started doing more frequent water changes as recommended by the fish shop, and then the guppy seemed to start coming back to life. Then in the matter of a couple of days, it started swimming upside down, head down and acting wonky. Then it died.

The molly I added just a few days ago died within less than 24 hours and was bloated and white all over. It was a completely black fish naturally.

Most reactions

Back