Mosquito Lavae V Bloodworm

Christi_22

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
In the wild, I believe Bettas feed on Mosquito larvae, but I see everyone seems to advocate feeding bloodworm (which I think are the larvae of a different fly). I supplement my Bettas diet with frozen ML, and have never actually given him BW. (yet) Is there much difference nutrition wise? If any? Should I give him Bloodworm?

Thanks
C

In the wild, I believe Bettas feed on Mosquito larvae, but I see everyone seems to advocate feeding bloodworm (which I think are the larvae of a different fly). I supplement my Bettas diet with frozen ML, and have never actually given him BW. (yet) Is there much difference nutrition wise? If any? Should I give him Bloodworm?

Thanks
C

My male will happily eat Bloodworms till he's bursting. My Female won't even nibble at them. The majority of Bettas seem to enjoy them though. Not sure on the nutritional stuff, but they offer alot of protein.

Hi

If your bettas are happy and healthy then i shouldn't be too concerned. Mosquito larvae probably make up part of their natural diet anyway.

Found this -
"Insect Larvae
Bloodworms (Chironomus)
A favorite fish food that can be purchased frozen, freeze-dried, or live. In nature blood worms are known for constructing cocoons of plant debris and mud. Chironomus mosquitoes do not bite.
Black Mosquito Larvae
Black Mosquito larvae are an excellent food, full of vitamins that appear to help trigger spawning in some species. Mosquito larvae are easily caught in ponds and can be raised in standing containers of water. Beware that black mosquito sting.
White Mosquito Larvae, Glassworms
Glassworms are found in ponds. These insect larvae develop into gnats. Glassworms are available in live and frozen forms".

From this site http://fish.mongabay.com/food.htm

Hi

If your bettas are happy and healthy then i shouldn't be too concerned. Mosquito larvae probably make up part of their natural diet anyway.

Found this -
"Insect Larvae
Bloodworms (Chironomus)
A favorite fish food that can be purchased frozen, freeze-dried, or live. In nature blood worms are known for constructing cocoons of plant debris and mud. Chironomus mosquitoes do not bite.
Black Mosquito Larvae
Black Mosquito larvae are an excellent food, full of vitamins that appear to help trigger spawning in some species. Mosquito larvae are easily caught in ponds and can be raised in standing containers of water. Beware that black mosquito sting.
White Mosquito Larvae, Glassworms
Glassworms are found in ponds. These insect larvae develop into gnats. Glassworms are available in live and frozen forms".

From this site [URL="http://fish.mongabay.com/food.htm"]http://fish.mongabay.com/food.htm[/URL]

Thanks guys, still none the wiser, but now have to consider black worms, glass worms, stinging and none stinging mosquito's. (joking).

Bottom line, Happy bettas, dont worry :rolleyes:

thing is wild caught skeeter larve might be contaminated with bugg spray, so maby buying it frozen would be better then wild crafting it... :good:

azul only you would call them skeeters lol.

btw has the jello set up yet?

Most reactions

Back