More Fish?

Aquaman2009

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm wondering if I should add some more fish over the weekend or am I overstocked? In a 125litre tank I have the following:

6 tiger barbs
4 platies
2 Bala Sharks
2 Gouramis
1 pleco

All the above seem happy and healthy but I'm now wondering if I should leave them be and stop introducing new friends

Cheers

Hi all,

I'm wondering if I should add some more fish over the weekend or am I overstocked? In a 125litre tank I have the following:

6 tiger barbsGrow to 7cm and can be aggresive
4 platiesNOt a problem
2 Bala SharksGrow to about a foot and get very aggresive
2 GouramisWhat type?
1 plecoVery important to know what type this is

All the above seem happy and healthy but I'm now wondering if I should leave them be and stop introducing new friends

Cheers

IMO you are overstocked and some of those fish need re homing i'm sorry to say.

Agree with forest here, it's not so much that your overstocked by the amount of fish you have but you have certain fish that aren't suitable for that size tank

Andy

Get rid of (not literally, I seem to have to say this as there's always someone who comes along going OMG..) the plec, if it's a common, and the Bala's, both need at least 3-4 times the volume of water.
Then, unless you have a giant gourami :lol:..Or a kissing gourami, pretty much the majority of then can be kept in your tank size.
If you do weekly large water changes, say 40%, you could fit quite a few more small fish in there, also depending on your filtration.
Stocking rules are all silly really, good for guidelines, albeit very patchy ones.

Forest fish is right. The present stocking is not a very good one for your tank. I will definitely disagree with Cheesy feet, the stocking needs to be evaluated properly, including both compatibility and number. The simple rules for beginners, like he inch per gallon rule, keep them out of trouble and need to be followed until you get a feel for stocking levels that can be properly maintained in a tank. I find that I still use them when I am setting out to stock a tank size that I have never had before, because it keeps me out of trouble until I have the chance to observe the fish in the tank and judge whether or not I can add more. In some ways I am still too new at this to be quite as blase about stocking levels as Cheesy Feet, I have only been doing this for about 50 years.

Forest fish is right. The present stocking is not a very good one for your tank. I will definitely disagree with Cheesy feet, the stocking needs to be evaluated properly, including both compatibility and number. The simple rules for beginners, like he inch per gallon rule, keep them out of trouble and need to be followed until you get a feel for stocking levels that can be properly maintained in a tank. I find that I still use them when I am setting out to stock a tank size that I have never had before, because it keeps me out of trouble until I have the chance to observe the fish in the tank and judge whether or not I can add more. In some ways I am still too new at this to be quite as blase about stocking levels as Cheesy Feet, I have only been doing this for about 50 years.
Yes, I see what you mean...as I said very patchy guidelines.
However, when I start stocking a tank, I only begin with 1/2 fish, and slowly add on, finding a good balance in what the tank can cope with.So much like you, making your own judgement.. I agree somewhat that, for a platform, stocking rules are good...And while it can steer beginners clear of disaster, it can also back fire.
I was simply pointing out to the OP not to think of them as a must follow.Just with his balas, the 1 inch per gallon has gone out the window long ago..
I find if you have an idea of what size fish can go in you're tank, start off with a certain large volume of water, and with each fish add a little more on depending on eventual size.This is how I roughly stock my tanks, if know for certain my plans.

Plus, hopefully with the many experienced users we can come to a general consensus on what may be suitable for his tank :)

They aren't agressive per se. They get to be 14 inches and need to be kept in groups of 4 or more, and a suitable tank size to match (100 gallons or more). Commonly they are sold without letting the customer know what their requirements are, leaving them to deal with a sticky situation.

The inch per gallon rule is a good rule of thumb, like OldMan47 has said. It may not be all inclusive, but for a rule of thump it generally works.

They aren't agressive per se. They get to be 14 inches and need to be kept in groups of 4 or more, and a suitable tank size to match (100 gallons or more). Commonly they are sold without letting the customer know what their requirements are, leaving them to deal with a sticky situation.

The inch per gallon rule is a good rule of thumb, like OldMan47 has said. It may not be all inclusive, but for a rule of thump it generally works.
With fish at around 1" maybe...

Bala sharks aren't normally agressive but can become aggressive as they grow, especially when kept in tanks that aren't adequate for their needs (too small)

Andy

Most reactions

Back