Moonlighting Question W/ Pics!

markaj04

Reaction score
Well I came up with this wacky idea, instead of buying an l.e.d strip for getting the moonlight effect. i took my led light up New England Patriots sign and put it over my tank. it lights up the tank beautifully. not too bright, it basically looks perfect. this should only be temporary however my question is do my fish need to get used to it or is it something i can just start using every night instead of turning off the light completly? Thanks for the help! :D

well, i dont see a point of leaving it on all night if you arent there to look at it. i think that will just stress the fish out for no reason. why not just turn on the moon lights when you want to look at your tank and turn the off when you are about to leave. itll save the fish from stress and you will save some money from the electric bill

sorry, i was gunna take pics but my batteries are dead in the camera.

so you guys are saying that the blue light does stress out the fish? i only plan on having it on for about 3 hours before bed, then turnin it off til about 12afternoon.

itll be like this

normal light on noon-10pm
blue led moonlight 10pm-2am
off at 2am-12pm noon

is that good?

i found a really good moonlight for little tanks.

a mobile phone!!

plug it into the charger and turn the light on so it stays on and its a quality little night light for your fish tank.

only really good for betta tanks.

so you guys are saying that the blue light does stress out the fish? i only plan on having it on for about 3 hours before bed, then turnin it off til about 12afternoon.

aslong as you can see your fish are still sleeping/resting like they would with the lights off then its fine to leave them on all night.

thats what i do.

Nobody closes the curtains on tropical fish in the wild, so a bit of ambient light overnight is unlikely to cause a problem. Depends how much light though.

Swapping 45W of white light for 45W of blue light isn't going to do much good I imagine.

Just for reference, my moonlighting is so dim you have to sit there for about half an hour in total darkness before you can see anything worth seeing. But then it really is worth seeing. My Plec and BGKF come to life at night, the tank is a totally different world.

If you don't have some moonlighting, for the sake of £10 you're missing out badly on an unseen aspect to your hobby. Not sure the fish care, benefit, or suffer TBH.

My view is that switching any light on and off in the middle of the night is going to frighten your fish a lot more than leaving it on, but like I said, careful it's not too bright.

For me the test would be if you can sit there in a room lit by the main light, switch it off, and still make out anything other than the odd bit of movement in an otherwise dark tank- then it's too bright.

Most reactions

Back