Mollies

they need salt to live but they will live without sometimes

they ca live without salt in there water but it does leave them more prone to illness, generally most find they do better and stay healthier in slight brackish conditions

i have had mollies before they kept getting ill and they are a lot of work if you dont have salt in there water

Mollies will do fine in normal fresh water and are a bit reproductive there, like this girl is. Her fry were born yesterday and I have not had salt in my tanks for at least the last 5 years.
MomAndFry800.jpg

What I find that my mollies do need is water that is sort of hard with a reasonably high pH. My water is about 15 degrees GH and a similar number of degrees KH. It also runs a fairly consistent pH of around 7.8. Sea salt has a rather high pH so it may give some of the same benefits but I keep my mollies in the same tank as some cories and an angel. Those fish are pretty intolerant of salt so I am never tempted to take out the salt shaker for mollies. On the other hand, mollies can be adapted to live in straight sea water and is a common fish used by saltwater enthusiasts to cycle their tanks.

Most reactions

Back