Mollies jumped out of tank!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Platysrcool12345

Reaction score
A little over a month ago one of my mollies gave birth. I was able to save 6 fry; I kept them in a 10-gallon tank until they were big enough to go into the big tank. Recently one of my platies gave birth so I moved the platy fry into the 10 gallons and so I moved my molly fry into a 5-gallon bucket for a few days until I could find a new place. I waited over a day (about 26 hours for the water to sit), and added a heater. I acclimated the fry to the water. This morning I woke up and 4 of the 6 fry jumped out of the water and died and the other 2 still in the water were also dead. What happened?

There might have been something in the bucket that poisoned them.

If you used tap water it might have had chloramine in and that is poisonous unless you use a dechlorinator to neutralise it. And when you use a dechlorinator, it neutralises the chlorine but leaves ammonia behind, which is normally taken up by plants or beneficial filter bacteria. If you didn't have a filter in the bucket it might have been chloramine or ammonia poisoning.

In future if you even need to set up an emergency container, use water from the main tank so the fish aren't being put into different water.

Agreed, fish jumping out is a clear sign the water is bad for them in a big way"
Agreed, bad water quality will make fish jump out. I always use water dechlorinator given how tap water if harmful to fishies.

Most reactions

Back