Mollies Gulping For Air; Annoying Filter Noise

filliesforgood

Reaction score
My mollies have been gulping at the surface for air for about a month and a half now. I have absolutely no clue why -- I change their water weekly, I have a bubbler, a good water flow, and many live plants, and there isn't any problem with nitrates, etc. They spend almost 24/7 up at the surface just gasping, and I don't know why! Even the fry have taken to coming to the surface. The only molly not affected is a large black female, plus about 2 or 3 fry who are just having fun exploring.

Also, my filter sometimes makes these really annoying noises -- it's happened about four times in the pass three months -- where it just clicks for about 1-5 minutes, then it stops for awhile, and continues again. It is severely annoying and keeps me up all night. I have checked it a million times and nothing appears to be wrong. Yet even when I unplug it, it makes the same horrible noise! Also, after it has been unplugged for awhile, I have to bang the part where the motor/gear thing is held until it begins to work. I can honestly say I can't really afford to buy a new filter anytime soon -- allowance doesn't buy much, folks! -- but any advice will be welcomed!

Thanks.

Have you checked the water temp?

As to your filter, may just be air trapped in the filter, depending what sort it is, if its internal and you can remove it from suckers, try keeping it in water, then pushing it downward to lay flat on floor with nozzle pointing upward, see what happens, as to the fish, im wondering if heat may be to high,

You have checked the water for all the readings, if yes put results here so people can see and help

Most reactions

Back