Mollies are trying to breed

Stefan3289

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello all,

So I had one of my mollies pass away but I decided I’ll get a new one to replace his spot. Turns out the one I managed to pick was a female. I see now that a few of the males are following her a lot trying to mate. I know I can’t really prevent this, but will this cause a lot of stress for the female? I wouldn’t want her to get overly stressed and end up falling sick or live in stress.

It could, yes. You should always have more females than males, to diffuse the constant harassment. 1M to 3F is a good ratio.

They started bothering her less and less. How would I tell if they are female or male? I think based off the behavior I saw I’d say it’s 4 females 3 males I currently have, but they are not following her around anymore like they were yesterday.

That fish chase new fish that have entered the tank is quite normal. Males chasing females is also quite normal. Maybe creating some hiding spots in there. A smaller tank for certain sized fish can also result in more chasing. But yes, it can become less once they're use to eachother. It's already been mentioned that adding more females "can" divide the attention of the males over a bigger number of females, so that one female doesn't get all the stress connected to the chasing. But a majority of males in comparison to the number of females, can also lead to less chasing of the females. For males amongst eachother can keep themselves also busy to see which one is the better man.

If they're adult fish, the males will have a gonopodium and a female a normal v-shaped anal fin. Overhere an example of how the difference can be determined. These are guppies but this goes for mollies as well.
image1583696.jpg

image1583697.jpg

Depending on the kind of molly sports, the male "can" develop a higher dorsal. But again, that depends on the kind of molly you keep.

That fish chase new fish that have entered the tank is quite normal. Males chasing females is also quite normal. Maybe creating some hiding spots in there. A smaller tank for certain sized fish can also result in more chasing. But yes, it can become less once they're use to eachother. It's already been mentioned that adding more females "can" divide the attention of the males over a bigger number of females, so that one female doesn't get all the stress connected to the chasing. But a majority of males in comparison to the number of females, can also lead to less chasing of the females. For males amongst eachother can keep themselves also busy to see which one is the better man.

If they're adult fish, the males will have a gonopodium and a female a normal v-shaped anal fin. Overhere an example of how the difference can be determined. These are guppies but this goes for mollies as well.
image1583696.jpg

image1583697.jpg

Depending on the kind of molly sports, the male "can" develop a higher dorsal. But again, that depends on the kind of molly you keep.
As of today, they aren’t chasing her anymore I think like you said that it was just because she was new. They haven’t even approached her yet today

image1583696.jpg

image1583697.jpg

I could try to increase the female to male ratio but I am not sure if I should add more fish I have a 29 gallon with currently 7 mollies, otherwise they are doing fine and not targeting her so I think it will be ok.

I could try to increase the female to male ratio but I am not sure if I should add more fish I have a 29 gallon with currently 7 mollies, otherwise they are doing fine and not targeting her so I think it will be ok.
If they're good this way, I don't see any need to add more females.

If they're good this way, I don't see any need to add more females.
I think so too I would not want to overstock the aquarium. The only thing I will add is a synodintis (catfish) in a month once I make sure to cycle all the salt I was adding out. I have a 75g that has a syno but he is over 9 years old so I don’t think he will live much longer sadly as he is getting old so I would transfer the new syno down to take his place.

Synodontis can live several times 9 years.

Most reactions

Back