Mold or fungus on driftwood

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BetterWithBettas

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I have a peice of drift wood that has been in my tank for about 2 weeks and it has a mold or fungus growing on it. It was fuzzy in apprarence and created a type of slime coat over the wood. I had searched the topic before and read it was normal/harmless and often goes away by itself? I have been removing it with my gravel vac each week and it comes off like a coat/outer layer of slime. After the last wc the fungus/mold has come back and looks different:
20200214_064309.jpg
20200214_064300.jpg
20200214_064255.jpg

More spotty and less slime coaty in appearance. Just wondering if this in fact normal?or if I need to treat/remove and how? Thanks!

Take it out and hose it off, then put back in tank. If it comes back again after that, boil the wood for 10-15 minutes. If you don't have a pot big enough, put the wood in the oven at 60-100C and let it dry out for an hour. The wood will probably float afterwards and need to become water logged again.

Take it out and hose it off, then put back in tank. If it comes back again after that, boil the wood for 10-15 minutes. If you don't have a pot big enough, put the wood in the oven at 60-100C and let it dry out for an hour. The wood will probably float afterwards and need to become water logged again.
I will definitely give it a rinse off. I didn't boil the wood because it has a plant firmly rooted to it though..

Most reactions

Back