Mixing The Fish

lukes280

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok I have just bout a big tank, don't know the size yet. I am putting not big fish in there but have decided to go with a red tail shark. would this be compatible with neons or guppy's or even sword tails?? I would like this because I have a fantasy with red tail sharks and the size but also love to make my tank filled with life with fast moving fish or lots of fish like neons.

Thanks
Luke

they are not anturaly predatory, im pretty sure that it wouldnt eat the neon if they are fully grown you may want to check with another person tho ... ive kept red tailed black sharks with black phantoms no problem. and they were about the smae size asnneons when i had em.
but wait for another reply confirming it cause im not one hundred percent sure, i cant see an issue with this but .. you never know

i know for sur eit will leave swordtails alone tho

again not to sure bout the guppies cause of the longer fins

they are not anturaly predatory, im pretty sure that it wouldnt eat the neon if they are fully grown you may want to check with another person tho ... ive kept red tailed black sharks with black phantoms no problem. and they were about the smae size asnneons when i had em.
but wait for another reply confirming it cause im not one hundred percent sure, i cant see an issue with this but .. you never know

i know for sur eit will leave swordtails alone tho

again not to sure bout the guppies cause of the longer fins

Ok Thanks the swordtails are a yes, just got to find out on the neon and the guppies

Thanks Again
Luke

I think they would be fine, they just require a bit of space to act as there territory. I was thinking about getting one for my 60 gal, but they would not suit my tank for pH reasons.

I've also heard they won't kill fish, but they might chase alot if they don't have enough space.

James. :)

Introduce the red tail black shark last and let the others settle first buy a young shark. This seemed to work for me with my first albino red tail shark which was with a mixture of tetras it never bothered them and spent most of its time beside the filter. My father now has the shark which is housed with clown loach, angel fish, harlequin rasbora, five banded barbs and 2 siamese algae eaters. Its full grown and doesnt bother any fish even the algae eaters which most people dont recommend. Im not saying this is going to be the case with other sharks but i have done the same with my new red tail black shark and it hasnt bothered anything yet. If it begins to get agressive you can always rehome and try again.

thanks for the reply, Gaz_S, thanks for the reply that's a great idea. I will do that and any one know where to get a cheap pH kit??

Thanks
Luke

Try Ebay lots of online shops if you have an account this will be a cheaper option than your LFS. Might as well buy a master test kit if you have the money. Ebay Master Test Kit

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok I have just bout a big tank, don't know the size yet. I am putting not big fish in there but have decided to go with a red tail shark. would this be compatible with neons or guppy's or even sword tails?? I would like this because I have a fantasy with red tail sharks and the size but also love to make my tank filled with life with fast moving fish or lots of fish like neons.

Thanks
Luke
your redtail , neons , guppies and swordtails will all be ok together , best thing to introduce the redtail shark last approx a few months after your other fish so it wont become territorial ok

yea i will. Thanks for the reply, i will get the fish in the next week or so

Thanks again
Luke

In my tank I have a red tail shark with quite a few fish including cherry barbs, neons, catfish species (glass and loaches). The red tail shark only occasionally chases the molly. Other than that he is fine!

He lives in the eye of a crocodile skull I have. Strangely he lives in there with a polkadot loach... and its not much space in there at all! Hardly ever see him, but when he does come out, he looks amazing!

Slightly worried that you have a 'fantasy' with a red tail shark but... hey ho! haha

In my tank I have a red tail shark with quite a few fish including cherry barbs, neons, catfish species (glass and loaches). The red tail shark only occasionally chases the molly. Other than that he is fine!

He lives in the eye of a crocodile skull I have. Strangely he lives in there with a polkadot loach... and its not much space in there at all! Hardly ever see him, but when he does come out, he looks amazing!

Slightly worried that you have a 'fantasy' with a red tail shark but... hey ho! haha

LOL i know, but i love them haha :)

Luke

well a guy came into my work today asking if he could bring one back caus ehe reckons it kill alot of danios... :/ dunno if thats such a good thing

well we will soon find out, i will report back in a month with the update on how it went

Luke

Most reactions

Back