Minimum Tank Size

blanchy

Reaction score
Hey im planning to set up a small betta tank, I want to use a vase (probably from ikea) as it will be in the sitting room and im not aloud put a tank in there :rolleyes:

What would be the minimum size vase that i could use?
The tank wont be filtered or heated but i will do regular water changes using water from one of my other tanks

Cheers :good:
Dan

How warm is the room, and how cold does it get on the coldest winter night? Don't forget that bettas are tropical fish so unless the room is at around 25 deg C day and night all year round, you will need a heater.
Why do water changes with water from another tank? That is waste water. In an unfiltered tank, you will need to do daily water changes with fresh water, especially if you intend keeping a betta in a vase.

As for size, the smallest I would keep a betta in is 20 litres/5 gallons. Some people will say a minimum of 10 litres/2.5 gallons. But even that is a lot bigger than a vase, unless Ikea make huge vases. Then there's also the shape of a vase. To my mind a vase is someting tall and thin, a shape I don't like for any fish.

Is there no way you could put a 20 litre heated and filtered tank in there?

Its a pretty warm room, heat on in the evening/ most of day in winter and door closed so no draught
Ive heard from a few websites that bettas are fine without a heater or filter?
I was going to use water from another tank cuz it would already have bacteria in it but i could just use fresh water

I wouldnt be going for a tall skinny one more of a short wide one.
My lfs said i wouldnt need too big a vase nd a 50% water change once a week would be fine.

No way im afraid I have 2 tanks in my bedroom and i live at home so the parents dont want a tank in the sitting room at all so this is my way of getting around it lol :lol:

Only if you live somewhere warm could you get away with keeping betta un-heated really. The stress from fluctuating temperatures in a room could be enough to kill betta, so I don't recommend going down that route. Water from other tanks will hold no bacteria, so it's pointless really, and as essjay says, you'll be doing water changes with waste water.

50% water change a week in an unfiltered bowl will very quickly see your betta dead. It would be swimming around in it's own waste, and will very quickly succumb to ammonia poisoning which is not a nice death :( You'd be looking at minimum 50% daily water changes for the entire time the betta is kept in a vase. Betta are also very good jumpers, so that's another issue with you putting one in a vase.

To be honest, I really don't think it would be fair on the animal to keep in a vase. You're better off waiting for a better opportunity and getting a proper heated and filtered tank for one.

I would be wary of taking advice from that lfs if they said an unfiltered tank only needs 50% water changes a week. And it sounds as though they believe the fallacy that bettas live in puddles in the wild - they don't!

Its a fish only shop that normally give out good advice, that said they dont normally stock bettas

Ah no this shop has told me not to buy certain fish or told me my tank was fully stocked when i tried to buy a few more

Why dont you get one of these for a Betta? I think im going to do the same soon

http://www.aquatics-warehouse.co.uk/aquarium-supplies/biorb-aquariums-n-spares/baby.html

Look man I work in sales too, I'm interseted in getting your money (no not a LFS) but if I omit something, or aren't 100% clearon something to earn your business I will.

Now I would say a 3-5 gallon heated, filtered tank...Honestly 5 gallons ain't much and can look quite nice.

I think 3 gallons WOULD BE OK, but 5 gallon is ideal. Filtered, with Heater

How warm is the room, and how cold does it get on the coldest winter night? Don't forget that bettas are tropical fish so unless the room is at around 25 deg C day and night all year round, you will need a heater.
Why do water changes with water from another tank? That is waste water. In an unfiltered tank, you will need to do daily water changes with fresh water, especially if you intend keeping a betta in a vase.

As for size, the smallest I would keep a betta in is 20 litres/5 gallons. Some people will say a minimum of 10 litres/2.5 gallons. But even that is a lot bigger than a vase, unless Ikea make huge vases. Then there's also the shape of a vase. To my mind a vase is someting tall and thin, a shape I don't like for any fish.

Is there no way you could put a 20 litre heated and filtered tank in there?

I will have to agree with you. 5gall minimum is what i recommend and a heater/filter would be great! You can buy those 5gallon rectangle tanks they don't take up much space bc they are small.

15ltr is only 3gal, please get something bigger so at least your Betta can swim and spread out much much better. Take it from me i had a 2gal tank and my betta was miserable looking.

Most reactions

Back