Minimum Tank Size For Betta?

michaelb_123

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey, recently went to my lfs and they had quite a lot of really healthy looking siamese fighting fish and other varieties of bettas! n they just basically looked beautiful. I do love the dark blue n pinky-red ones. . . sigh. . . :drool:
Anyway, am now set out to get a smallish tank because i wouldnt want anything else in there to stress it out or anythin. . . :huh:

Can anyone suggest the smallest tank size? In UK gallons/litres please - why do people not use litres anymore!! is such a more simple method :crazy: :blink: :/ My 4 litre is too small and to put a betta or even a goldfish which was intended when it was made is just plain evil. Although i am a homicidal anarchist that just isn't my thing :D

Advice would be much appreciated as you have to admit they do look stunning sometimes. . . sighs again. . . :rolleyes:

Please advise!!!

- Enthusiast - :thumbs:

A good tank is a fish are friends jobbie you get them in alot of petshope for about £35 come with a small filter and built in light you just need a small 40w heater i got mine for a tenner i keep my better in this its about 9usg which is roughly 5.5ukg there good to house bettas my little boy has one for his betta just get a nice tall plant that breaks the surface so they can hide in there and this also helps as the flow from the filter is a little strong.

you wouldnt put a betta in anything under 2 gallons? you must have lots of space and money to afford all those tanks. i have my betta in 3 quart containers, which takes up alot of space already

My bettas seem very happy in their 1.5 gallon (6 litre) Kritter Keepers, they both have bubblenests going and are watching me type. :p

you wouldnt put a betta in anything under 2 gallons? you must have lots of space and money to afford all those tanks. i have my betta in 3 quart containers, which takes up alot of space already
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Tokis has a ton of bettas, so it's not a problem :p
I'd prefer to keep mine in 2.5+ gallons, but I've got 13 adults and literally don't have enough room to upgrade them all. 8 of them have to live in 1 gallons, which is the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM I would ever recommend for them... at least they have a little swimming space in that size.

EDIT: Whoops, 14! Who'd I miss? :blink:

I paid £40 for my 29litre its got under gravel filter, lights & just had to buy a little heater for it. But it looks great in our kitchen!! heres a couple of pics:-

CR320_2.jpg

Image005.jpg

ooh, where'd you get your tank mantis? a 2.5gal tank is tiny, cheap etc....i would'nt put anything in under a 2.5.

ooh, where'd you get your tank mantis? a 2.5gal tank is tiny, cheap etc....i would'nt put anything in under a 2.5.

Just got it from my lfs but i have seen them online its made by aquaone cant remember the model & im in work at the moment :sad:

Nice tank Mantis. :thumbs: Bet your boy loves it in there!

Yep he does!! plenty of space in there for him!! :thumbs:

This thread will probably get nasty as everyone and every country seems to have their own idea of how small is too small for a betta.

I keep mine in a 1 gallon

Most reactions

Back