Milky/murky Water

Courtnie

Reaction score
I have a 29 gallon Eclipse tank. It has been set up for 2 years. I moved it yesterday. Emptied out all the water, leaving some of the waste in the bottom of the tank; my tank also has the bio wheel filled with bacteria. I added some new gravel (not all new, just 10 pounds) I washed it good. Filled the tank up and put in a new filter. Right from the start the tank looked great except the water looks like someone mixed a glass of milk in with it. The filters have been running for about 18 hours and it hasn’t changed one bit! I know it is a bit soon but I have never seen the water look like this before. The fish seem fine…

Can anyone tell me what’s going on with the water?

You probably just stirred up a lot of 'muck' when you filled it up or you have a bacterial bloom.

Either way, it should eventualy clear up. But lots of water changes with DE-CHLORINATED tap water would speed up the process.

I am more concerned about your replacing the filter... You shouldn't realy have done this all at once. What are your water parameters?

Welcome to the forums BTW! :)

Why is replacing the filter a bad thing? I do that ever 4-5 weeks as it, in fact it was over do for a filter change. I mixed up the tank all the time and stuff floats all around and then I run the filter and it all goes away and the water is crystal clear. This time there is nothing floating... its just not clear.

I am a little concerend about water changes... as I just replaces every last gallon of water yesterday... how would a water change fix that?

I do not know my water parameters atm - I didn't have time to test this morning before work. I will test when I get home.

I paid a professional to move the tank, he said I could call him if I had any troubles and he would come check on the tank... I don't want to call him just yet tho.

Hi. Replacing the filter material is a bad thing because that's where the good bacteria live that convert toxins that fish produce into less toxic substances. By removing the filter material, you remove the bacteria, thereby the toxic fish waste builds up in the water.
Partial water changes of 10%-25% are recommended every week or two depending on the set-up in order to remove these undesired substances and replenish them with fresh, clean water.
Usually, milky/ cloudy water means that there is a bad bacterial bloom happening which can be countered by doing water changes of 10%-25% daily until the problem clears up. Monitoring of the water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate should be done frequently until such time as the ammonia and nitrites remain at zero. Try to keep the nitrate levels as close to zero as possible.
Also, maybe i misunderstood your first post, but you should not be leaving any "waste" on the bottom of the tank. Excess fish food and excrement decay and can cause some of the problems you are experiencing. Vacuuming the gravel regularly while doing the water changes will go a long way to keeping the water, and your fish healthy.
I hope this helps you get back on track. Good luck with your tank!

I moved the tank across town, so I emptied every completely... the gravel was vaccumed but some waste was left as well as the bio wheel so i would not have to cycle my tank again. I replaced the filter because the other one was no good and I had the waste and the bio wheel for the good bacteria. I just dont understand how I can have a bacteria bloom when I just added a whole tank of fresh water.

Anyway I am just confused, I will test the water tonight

Yeah, for deffs, sounds like a bacterial bloom! Do a google and educate yourself on this annoying topic :grr: Id listen to cujoho78 on how to deal with this problem. I wont repeat what hes just told you. Hope it clears up soon! :crazy:

Okay so according to that (I did a search) the bacterica bloom was caused by me changing the water ... or adding a full tank of new water in that case:

To clear the tank and to keep it clear, we must control the amount of nutrients in the water. In the case of a new tank or water change, we recommend that you wait for the bloom to subside. It will take just a few days (usually 1-5) to clear.

The use of activiated carbon and other chemical filtration media will also help clear the tank by removing the excess nutrients from the water.

Well the new filter has activiated carbon in it.. so I think I will be just fine.

So I just wait it out. Thanks for help!

It said in that article to not do that....
ok, well whatever you think best. This is how we learn. :) Personally, i cant see the bloom clearing within 5 days by itself, HOWEVER... Stranger things have happened ;) good luck! P.S. KEEP US INFORMED!

I just dont understand... a water changed caused it, because I added too much fresh water at once... why would I add more fresh water... wouldnt that make it worse?

And why would I vaccume the gravel when I just did it yesterday? I mean this all just doesnt make sense to me.

And about this learning thing, I have this tank for years with the same fish in it... I know how to do a water change and clean my gravel... this is just the first time I have moved and replaced all the water. I just was concered because I have never seen the water look like this before. You make it sound like I am not looking after my tank.

I just dont understand... a water changed caused it, because I added too much fresh water at once... why would I add more fresh water... wouldnt that make it worse?

And why would I vaccume the gravel when I just did it yesterday? I mean this all just doesnt make sense to me.

And about this learning thing, I have this tank for years with the same fish in it... I know how to do a water change and clean my gravel... this is just the first time I have moved and replaced all the water. I just was concered because I have never seen the water look like this before. You make it sound like I am not looking after my tank.
Sorry Courtnie, i dont mean to sound like im saying you dont look after your tank. Im not sayin that at all.

Now, about this learning thing... I meant that you would learn yourself about bacterial blooms. e.g. If it did clear within 1-5 days WITHOUT you doing anything then you would have learned that this would be the best way to deal with bacterial blooms.

HOWEVER, if it DIDNT clear within 1-5, and you changed the water everday for a while and THIS worked, then you would have learned that this could be the best way to deal with blooms... I am sure you look after your tank just fine! Basically all that im saying is that in my opinion bacterial blooms dont seem to clear themselves. It is a hard subject to grasp! Once again apologies if i sounded like that... :sad: This might help:

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/cloudywt.htm

*IF POSTING ANOTHER SITES WEB ADDRESS IS A PROBLEM OR AGAINST RULES. I WILL REMOVE IT.

No worries, I understand what you saying now. I will leave it for a few days and see what happens. Normally I would do a water change, but like I said cuz I just replaced all the water yesterday I don't want to do it too soon. We had a bit of trouble getting the tank set back up cuz our floor wasn't level so the fish were in the bags longer then they should have been and they were very stressed out by the time they got back in the tank. If it is hasn't cleared up in a couple days then I will do that for sure. I was talking to my boyfriend and he says it is getting better but I will have to have a look for myself when I am home. I will also test the water and make sure everything is okay.

Just for fun here is an old picture of my tank (taken about a year ago):
101.jpg

I read that link you posted... it could also be a couple other things from that list. Thanks!

You should change th water - you'll remove the bacteria from the water and also remove excessive ammonia/nitrIte.

Post your readings for these BTW - ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Ammonia and nitrIte are toxic to fish - deadly even - and should always measure 0ppm. It may help you to read the link in my signature about cycling and new tank syndrome.

Now, while water changes may prolong the cycling process (seeing as you've killed off all the good bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrIte and then to nitrAte by removing all the water and by replacing the filter), because they remove waste (ammonia/nitrIte), they are essential for your fish' health. Like I said before, these substances are highly toxic and, until the tank re-cycles (ie: the good bacteriua grow back again), you need to keep their concentration low by doing regular water changes - for the sake of the fish.

The bacterial bloom is simply the result of waste in the water and is likely to be followed by a period of green water before clearing up. Water changes WILL improve the situation. While the huge water change/filter replacement were resposible for it appearing in the first place, water changes now can only improve the situation.

Once again, I encourage you to read through teh links in my signature - all should prove useful to you in some way and help you udnerstand what is going on in your tank. If you're still not sure, search the beginner's forum for 'cycling' or ask. :)

:kewlpics: Glad to hear it could be clearing already! Hope all goes well, and like i said... let me know how you get on... :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back