Middle Feeders...freshwater

Monarch

Reaction score
I'm a newbie to this forum :blush: ...what a great forum...found it when I googled about my new African Butterfly fish...anyway, question....I need some advice for some fish that woule be TRUE middle feeders....i have several small cats, 1 very large sailfin pleco, 1 med.angel ( a little nippy, but not too bad ) 2 very sm.angels...my blue zebra danios and m glofish were dinner for the AFB...they were sold to me as middle feeders...NOT....and I was not informed that this AFB was a carnivore with a trapdoor mouth :dunno: ...I like different species and I like some color....as long as they are not aggressive and are pretty easy to manage...I don't have a lot of time with my work schedule to invest...not to mention the 4 retired racing greyhounds I have, too! Any suggestions are welcomed...I go Saturday...the retailer has agreed to work something out with me on my AFB "dinner."

African Butterfly's a definitely top feeders, but a predatory, loosely related to the arowana too.

Now your problem is finding a fish that pretty much stays in the bottom half of the tank, but if it does stray higher it won't be eaten by the African Butterfly. As interesting as they are I suggest keeping the AFB either as a species tank with medium sized bottom dwellers like catfish, plecs etc, or return the AFB if you can and get something more compatible with your angels.

What size tank have you got?

i would suggest some congo tetras fellar awsome looking fish and there middle feeders thats for sure ...peacefull fish and there quite large when you buy the from shops and they do grow much bigger to so there wont be any problems with them being on the dinner menu

African Butterfly's a definitely top feeders, but a predatory, loosely related to the arowana too.

Now your problem is finding a fish that pretty much stays in the bottom half of the tank, but if it does stray higher it won't be eaten by the African Butterfly. As interesting as they are I suggest keeping the AFB either as a species tank with medium sized bottom dwellers like catfish, plecs etc, or return the AFB if you can and get something more compatible with your angels.

What size tank have you got?

I have a 30g tank..it is in the shape of a deep cube...and I can return the AFB...my local retailer offered to work something out with me after I told him all of this info I had found out...my hubby & I decided best to return him and get more compatable fishies...didn't want to, but when I got home ( with crickets for him/her ) he had already had "dinner"...ate my last 2 new fish...my last blue zebra danio and my last glofish :shout: ...besides, he doesn't do much, but float on the top of the water and EAT MY FISH!!!!
Thankx for the advice/help!!!

i would suggest some congo tetras fellar awsome looking fish and there middle feeders thats for sure ...peacefull fish and there quite large when you buy the from shops and they do grow much bigger to so there wont be any problems with them being on the dinner menu

Are these congo tetras easily found in LFS's? Will have to google them...don't think I've ever seen them...how many do you suggest for a 30g tank? I currently have: 1xvery lg Sailfin Pleco, 3xvery sm.cats, 1xmed.angel, 2xvery small angels.

Not too sure on stocking levels or the African Butterfly fish but Buenos Airies Tetra's are pretty nice as pure middle feeder. If you put in freeze dried bloodworm etc... they dart to the top to feed, but that's about it.

School well and are pretty damn quick so tend not to get eaten (a friend had 10 in his tank before adding two Oscars, they are still all surviving after 18 months together)

Not too sure on stocking levels or the African Butterfly fish but Buenos Airies Tetra's are pretty nice as pure middle feeder. If you put in freeze dried bloodworm etc... they dart to the top to feed, but that's about it.

School well and are pretty damn quick so tend not to get eaten (a friend had 10 in his tank before adding two Oscars, they are still all surviving after 18 months together)

Buenos Aires Tetra's are very prone to fin-nipping and devouring plants. I wouldn't recommend them for a tank with and African Butterfly and angels.

If I were you, I'd stick with the bottom feeders that you have. The angels will ultimately spend plenty of time in the middle of the tank and you'll get a lot of enjoyment from watching them. They'll also get to be quite large quite quickly.

Thank guys for all of your help/suggestions. Headed to the LFS tomorrow with the AFB in tow! It was like having a monster in my tank.../he's consumed 2 blue zebra danios, 2 glofish and ate my blk lace angel yesterday...it was brand new and very small...I spent $60 last Sat on fish and only have 1 of 7 left...Never again!!!

One quick question re: the angels, please....I've always had angels in my tank...I ADORE them...leopards, gold veils, koi or black lace...I don't seem to have much luck with the blk lace for some unknown reason...it was reccomended that if I were going to have more than one in the tank, and the existing angel was medium size, I should add smaller ones ...was told the larger one would probably ignore the smaller ones. Was told if I added the same size or larger, I was looking for trouble...that the existing one would feel "threatened." aqgin become agressive??

Any advice on this...BEFORE I make another mistake...I'm really fine with angels and my bottom feeders...suggestions are welcome and VERY much appreciated...right now I have 1 med sized leopard angel ( a little aggressive with the new tiny koi angel I got last Sat, but starting to leave it alone )...the tiny koi angel...how many can I have and what suggestions might you have on the type...I've not seen too many different ones, other than the ones I previously mentioned. :)

Most reactions

Back