Micron Filtration

NeonTetra97

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, 

I am building a water polisher because I have an old powerhead laying around and I am quite curious to see exactly how far you can take mechanical filtration (with no chem media at all like carbon) to achieve perfectly clear water. This will only probably be a short term experiment but a fun little project anyway :)

So my question: Does anyone know of an LFS chain that stock 50 or 100 micron filter pads? Or even any other shops like DIY places that might have this? It seems fairly expensive on amazon presumably because it will be shipped from far away... And also any recommendations for ultra fine filter floss/media etc would be nice! Just looking for a range of opinions before I commit to anything.

Here in the states we can get polyester pillow stuffing (aka filter floss) at Walmart - a big bag for $3-$4. Filter floss does a very good job of polishing water. You might also consider Seachem Purigen and no need to poo poo activated carbon as it has been used successfully to purify water since ancient times. Seems to me that anything that ADSORBS impurities is more mechanical than what I would consider a chemical additive. 

Most reactions

Back