Mg - Dtvt

cheekysbabe

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I'm looking at getting a Mustard Gas - Doubletail Veiltail. However I have been told that you can not breed a DT with a DT. Is this true? I wont to keep the MG colour but either keep them at DT or go better. If you now what I am.

I think he is lovely and would love to put him with a MG-CT, Would that work tho?

Thanks cheekysbabe

I believe DT/DT breeding is discouraged because there's a high potential for deformities. CT would work, you'd get some interesting first generation fry with a range of traits and then if you wanted to do a second generation you'd be able to pick what traits you wanted to preserve.

Hey everyone.

I'm looking at getting a Mustard Gas - Doubletail Veiltail. However I have been told that you can not breed a DT with a DT. Is this true? I wont to keep the MG colour but either keep them at DT or go better. If you now what I am.

I think he is lovely and would love to put him with a MG-CT, Would that work tho?

Thanks cheekysbabe
I started out 2 & 1/2 years ago with a Tri- colored Crowntailed male and a dark green Doubletailed female. I have since read several articles on breeding Doubletails. The risks are deformities in the fry and Dbbl X Dbbl will result in them dying in the egg in some instances. My 1st generation were all single tailed but had dbbltail genotype so that breeding brother to sister I got about a fourth dbbltail out of the 2nd generation. For more on genetics: www.bettas-jimsonnier.com/images/cBlueCT+.jpg Then I bred the best delta singletail male to Dbbltailed female. Zero percent dbbltails in 3rd generation. I'm now breeding males to similar colored females from different genes to lessen the chances of deformities from 1. inbreeding and 2. Doubletail genes. By mixing a veiltail with a crowntail you will get comb/veils in the 1st generation. As far as color goes, if you have MG X MG you should get mostly MG fry but not knowing the genetic background of the parents I couldn't say.

Most reactions

Back