danajs

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve planted some Vallisneria Asiaticia “Corkscrew” in my aquarium and it’s suddenly all melted.

I know, like Crypts, Vals are prone to melting in a new aquarium, but it was doing ok for about 3 weeks and then every single leaf melted (the attached photo was taken on 28th August).

fd2af85c-6377-42b8-9c5c-0dba204aaaf4.jpeg

I was seeing lots of new growth, but that all melted too. I did take up a couple of bunches at the roots look healthy and I saw a few runners (some runners have appeared from the substrate and that growth has also melted!).

The Crypt Parva on the other hand hasn’t melted at all. The Anubias, Sword and Alternathera are all doing well, but my Salvinia did also turn white and melt away 😟

The Vals have been cut back to about 1 inch tall as it looked awful.

pH is 6.5/7.0
Ammonia, etc. is 0.00

Dosed weekly with TNC and there are API root tabs under the sand/fine gravel mix.

I do not use liquid carbon or any form of CO2.

Is it a case of being patient and waiting for it to bounce back? Or have I completely messed up somewhere?

Thank you 🌱🐠

My experience with Vals is that liquid CO2 adversely affects them. In my experience they do better if you plant the roots then slightly pull the plant out so that none of the crown is buried. Mine seem to do OK with moderate light levels.

My experience with Vals is that liquid CO2 adversely affects them. In my experience they do better if you plant the roots then slightly pull the plant out so that none of the crown is buried. Mine seem to do OK with moderate light levels.
I didnt know that. I have some Vals but only used liquid CO2 a couple of times in that tank, so you could be right. I heard that liquid CO2 is not good for fish too?

I think I’ll avoid the liquid CO2 - I’ve never used it before and don’t want to start using it now. I’m due to do a water change this weekend, so I’ll pull the Vals up slightly and maybe give them an extra root tab and then be patient with them for a while. I’m going to look at the fact they’re sending off runners is a good sign 🤞🏻

Most reactions

Back