Melted Snow

guidedbyechoes

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you tried fresh snow that was boiled and then cooled to use in your tanks. I have hardwater in the tap and snow is free. I want an RO but right now I have lots of snow and was wondering if I could use it. :good:

Umm..not sure, but it's a first. Hmm, boiling water does get rid of bateria, and snow is a source of freshwater, so....(dare I say it?) go ahead?, and be sure to tell us the reasults of this experiment.

Hmm... I wouldn't. It's likely dirty. Stuff falls on it, there's dirt underneath... I wouldn't. :(

I used a strip.

ph 6.2
kh-0
gh-300?

Hmm... I wouldn't. It's likely dirty. Stuff falls on it, there's dirt underneath... I wouldn't. :(

Its much more safe than the stuff coming out of my tap. I just wanted to dilute the tap water, not use the melted snow exclusively.

strips are not reliable, unfortuantely. snow can absorb anything thats floating around in your air, but then again, tap water can be pretty foul as well. I know i ate loads of snow as a kid and im ok :good: hard to say for fishies though.

I used a strip.

ph 6.2
kh-0
gh-300?

Its much more safe than the stuff coming out of my tap. I just wanted to dilute the tap water, not use the melted snow exclusively.

Yeah with 0 KH the PH would swing all over the place. To be honets I wouldnt bother. Unless your tap water is insanely bad it will most likely be fine for german rams (a lot better then using a water source which can be contaminated at any time).

What are the stats of your tap water?

I used a strip.

ph 6.2
kh-0
gh-300?

Yeah with 0 KH the PH would swing all over the place. To be honets I wouldnt bother. Unless your tap water is insanely bad it will most likely be fine for german rams (a lot better then using a water source which can be contaminated at any time).

What are the stats of your tap water?

ph 7.8
kh-300
gh-300

according to my chart. I don't think thats possible though. Is it?

It is very hard water but i still wouldnt use snow. Best bet would be to by RO water from youer LFS and mix it with your tap water. It wont cost that much and is a whole lot safer.

Of course if you are going to do that then you are probably better off just buying a cheap 2 stage RO unit.

It is very hard water but i still wouldnt use snow. Best bet would be to by RO water from youer LFS and mix it with your tap water. It wont cost that much and is a whole lot safer.

Of course if you are going to do that then you are probably better off just buying a cheap 2 stage RO unit.

Thats what I thought. SO I wouldn't need to add minerals.

Im going with snow, as i have angels, and parrot's, wich require softer water. When i add the water to my tank, the Liquid test kit say's my tank water is 7.8, but it dosent test that way when i take it out of the tap. I am also looking into buying a wild pari of kribensis cichlids, adn i want them to spawn, but i would perfer a larger percentage to be female.

Thats what I thought. SO I wouldn't need to add minerals.
You wouldn't need to add minerals if you were mixing it with your tapwater.

Rain water and RO water are basically the same except rain water has picked up all the pollution in the air, which I'm told is why it has an acidic pH (pure water should be pH 7).

Water from melted snow is just rain water, except it will have picked up dirt from the ground too.

I wouldn't recommend using it unless you live in some remote area with little pollution (away from any big cities), and your sure the ground the snows collected from is free from pesticides, fertiliser and other such nasties :good: .

Most reactions

Back