Melafix & Cycle

omega59

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
So my tank is cycling and my Betta has developed fin-rot!
Is it okay to treat the tank/fish with Melafix or should I remove him and treat in a bucket or container of sorts?

I have a heater that is 150WATTS, i want to use it in the 5 gallon tank, what should i set it to?

many people claim melafix is a bit too strong for betta and can even worsen the situation. try bettafix, and if your tank is small just so it in your tank and water change often

Okay thank you. How about the heater 150watts, which setting for a 5gal?

I did a water change 50% his tail is ragged and now has a long split. i'm heading out to buy bettafix shortly. and i guess i will have to place him in a bowl during treatment.

I don't use melefix or bettafix as I've been advised by breeders not to since they can harm the fish. When our combtail had fin rot I upped his temperature to about 80 degrees F and changed his water more frequently to keep it clean. He got over it and regrew his fins beautifully.

Edit:
Also, I have found this for treating finrot as well.
"Treatment: Conservative: Treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Add Stress Coat to help repair tissue. If there is little to no improvement within the first 5 days, you can increase the salt dosage gradually to 2tsp/gal but do not continue any salt treatments past 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective use API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR API Erythromycin. Also add Stress Coat to help regrowth. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth."

okay so now bettafix isn't good.. which is it i'm going crazy!

melafix and bettafix both create an oil on the surface of the water which can damage the labyrinth lung on bettas and other fish which breath partially from the surface. On top of that, I haven't had any luck actually curing any diseases with these medications, they just make the disease progress slower, but they don't actually get rid of it. There are plenty of other medications on the market which could be a lot more effective.

Aquarium salt works well on finrot. I've heard a lot of good things about that treatment.

When you say aquarium salt, do you mean the salt used for saltwater aquariums?

Aquarium salt is simply table salt without the anti-caking additives and iodine.
Sea salt is used for a salt water tank and is an entirely different product. It will drive pH in a tank to well over 8.0.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754001
This will do as well

Hmongol thank you i was looking at this one yesterday evening but was unsure i will go back to buy it today some times. How much do i add for a 5gallon aquarium? (keep in mind this tank is still cycling)

that i am not sure ive only used it on a 1.5 quarantine tank. there i grab a small pinch because you dont want it to be a salt water tank, just enough to heal the wound. hopefully someone here can tell you.

Most reactions

Back